GO!

Husky Tail Question...???

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Kylie

Life is Good!

Barked: Thu Aug 12, '10 6:07am PST 
Kylie will be 5 months on the 23rd of this month. Her tail only curls when she's playing, running or excited. My friends husky's tail is curled all the time but she's an adult. I'm wondering since she's a puppy when do their tails curl? Or maybe not all huskies have a curled tail...any thoughts?
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Thu Aug 12, '10 6:45am PST 
My tail curls when I am happy, wagging my tail, or in a good mood. If I am bored or not really happy, my tail hangs down like a shephards tail.
[notify]
Wolfie

ZzzzzZzzzz.

Barked: Thu Aug 12, '10 5:24pm PST 
Husky tails do not curl. They are usually placed up high at a slight curve, like a sickel, when attentive toward anything. Otherwise, it will stay "low".
[notify]

Kylie

Life is Good!

Barked: Fri Aug 13, '10 4:12am PST 
yes they do curl..I've seen numerous huskies with curling tails.. Like I said my friends huskys tail is always curled. Kahia's tail is always curled no matter where she is and what she's doing.
[notify]
Gracie

Tricks ? - You can't be- serious.....

Barked: Fri Aug 13, '10 10:48am PST 
Gracie's Tail curls up & over her rear, right down the middle, but there is not much of a "C" shape to it - she does not really have a big tail. Now Bo-Bo on the other hand, has a huge tail, and his curls up & over when he's running & walking. When he's just standing it can be up or down. Our other Husky, Kelly - one of the reasons we "got" hom from the breeder was his tail - it went over to the left of his back versus striaght down the middle, so he was "flawed"! Flawed for show, but not for our family!! Also - someone told me that Gracie's tail not being real full could be a sign of thyroid problems - is that true? She's been tested and blood work has never shown any issues, although she is a bit of a chub, but so's her mommy....so, just wondering!!
[notify]
Wolfie

ZzzzzZzzzz.

Barked: Fri Aug 13, '10 12:11pm PST 
Kylie -- I am talking about tight curls. Huskies should not have curls like shiba-inus or snap back. A husky tail should either look like a C or just a tad past that, but no tight-curling.
It happens in most litters. Depending on who you ask, tight-curled tails are a 'fault', and 'not true to the breed'. But for "breed standard" if you wanted to go to the books for it, it should not snap-back, or have a tightly curled tail.
[notify]
☆ Lacy

If it is mine,- it must never be- yours.

Barked: Fri Aug 13, '10 2:08pm PST 
Kylie, I know what your talking about. Lacys tail actually curls to the left of her back, the only time its not curled is when shes eating or feeling bad. My friends husky did the same thing as a young pup, his tail didnt start to curl until a year old.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Aug 13, '10 7:18pm PST 
I think I got it. Huskies hold their tails curled in a C over their backs some or all of the time. A dog with a curled tail isn't holding it over his back, it is just curled and won't do anything else.

I believe we have a bit of a semantics issue here, i.e. we seem to mean different things when we say a "curled tail"
[notify]
Kylie

Life is Good!

Barked: Sat Aug 14, '10 5:42am PST 
hahaha Fritz I believe your right!!!

Lacy - that's it.. some husky tails are always in the air..and some aren't.

My first husky rarely had her tail up in the air.. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what Kylie decides to do. I will say kylie's tail is very bushy looking...I love it!!!

PS..can anyone tell me how to change the age of Kylie in the profile picture? thanks smile
[notify]
Wolfie

ZzzzzZzzzz.

Barked: Sat Aug 14, '10 3:19pm PST 
You got it Fritz! XD
[notify]