GO!

Upper lip changing color

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Blitz

Husky Love

Barked: Wed Nov 25, '09 11:06am PST 
Normally my husky has black lip. Randomly they started to turn pink, just the upper lip. I wasn't sure why and tried to google it, but didn't find anything good.

Any thoughts?
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Thu Nov 26, '09 8:40pm PST 
Have you had him year-round yet? Vance always pales a bit in the winter, I assume from lack of direct sunlight.

Just the lip could be an injury. Is this a little-by-little change, or did you look at him one day and go "Oh my gosh he's turning pink!" The outer layer of skin is dark, but underneath is always pink.

"Injuries" that are slower to appear may be things like certain food bowls or chews that rub against his lips causing damage to the outer skin over time.
[notify]
Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Fri Nov 27, '09 9:10am PST 
Blitz, you are really cute!! I second what Vance said, but also...

When you say upper lip, are you sure it is not actually the base of Blitz's nose? Some Siberians get what is called a "snow nose" in winter - the nose turns partially or fully pink, due to the lack of sunlight. It is not dangerous and totally normal. I have looked at your pictures and Blitz does show that he has a faint snow nose in some of the pics.

Blitz

Husky Love

Barked: Fri Nov 27, '09 9:36am PST 
He has snow noes and that started last year and becomes more prominent during the winter. we've been through 1 winter here so this will be our second. Its actually his lip, not the under part that is already pink. it was black, but just a portion turned pink. So....it could be from chewing on things. I didnt think of that. I'll keep an eye on it. I just found it weird to be only a part of the lip.

thanks for the help.
[notify]