GO!

Huskies, Seizures and Phenobarb

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '12 10:14pm PST 
I have a 3 yr old Siberian Husky who has had seizures since she was about 8 or 9 months old. She has grand mal seizures and we do not think something specific triggers them. She has had them in winter, spring summer. This past weekend she had 7 grand mal seizures in a 24 hour period, we have had to take her to the emergency vet many times and she is now on three different medications to try to control her seizures. About every 6 months she has seizures, then we have to up her medication. After this last episode her seizures were so bad, it is a horrible thing to have to watch, there is nothing you can do. We also have another Siberian Husky who we have to separate from Amesa when she has seizures or our other Siberian attacks her. She has to take medicine morning and night. The after effects of seizures is also not a good thing to have to watch, our Siberian has very long post -tical phases. She has walked around for a week and not really known who we were. I am trying everything in my power to help Amesa, but sadly for her this
probably her last hope. Each time she has a seizure is worse then the last, she is already on so much medicine and her liver level is already elevated which is an effect of the Phenobarbital. She is my 5th Siberian in my life and the only one I have had with this condition. The next time she has another round of clusters seizures we will probably have to put her down, It is unfair to her to keep her for our own benefit, I just wanted to try one more time. Our vet said it will happen again and that is when I have to make the decision, she is such a sweet and beautiful girl it breaks my heart that she has this condition and hers is the worse our vet has seen. I wish there was hope for Amesa but there is not. We just try to enjoy her while she is still here with us but we know that she won't live very much longer, and when that day comes it will break my heart but I know that I tried everything I could to help her.
[notify]
Bandit

Woo-WOOO!!

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 9:51am PST 
Bandit is 10, but when he was a few years old he started having seizures. For the first few weeks they would happen every day...often a few times a day. It was really bad and may have caused some brain damage. The Vet got him on Phenobarb and he's been on it ever since. So far he is doing fine! Ive been told that it can cause liver problems eventually, but his seizures were so often and so bad that it is the risk we had to take as nothing else worked. He hasn't had a seizure in MANY years now and only occasionally will have a jerk movement while resting. He's even extremely excited to take his daily medication every morning!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2