GO!

When does husky go into heat?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lana

Barked: Mon Nov 24, '08 10:25am PST 
Hey i just wanted to know when i (lana) will go into heat..the age. My pack leader thinking about getting my bother or sister who are the same age. (5mths). He is worried that when i go into heat my brother might do something.....ewwwwwwww yuck! So i could use the advice about heat and if we get a male how to prevent accidents.thinking
[notify]
Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Mon Nov 24, '08 3:43pm PST 
It varies for every dog, of course, but I would not wait much past 6 months to spay her - I had Kiona spayed at 5 months old, and she never came into heat.

ETA: The best way to prevent accidents is going to be to spay her before you get a male or bring the male home after she has her first heat if you miss getting her spayed in time.

Other options are adopting a neutered male or getting the male neutered right away, but I recommend giving the boys a little time to grow up before neutering, so I would say spay Lana now, problem solved.

Edited by author Mon Nov 24, '08 3:45pm PST

Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Tue Nov 25, '08 12:11pm PST 
Huskies can come into heat at between 5 months-1 1/2 years of age, so it really depends on the dog!
[notify]

Lana

Barked: Tue Nov 25, '08 11:49pm PST 
Thank you for your advice and comments. My pack leader will not spayed ne1 or anything else the are the same along the lines. It's just his personal thing. He does want to breed me and my brother. Pack leader has and will take extreme steps to ensure that my brother and I dont do anything ...(yucky) . He has been given advice on what to do. Though there is no way to be 100% but pack leader and wife will try their best to ensure it happens. Thank you for telling.
[notify]
Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 8:48am PST 
Why do you want to breed them?

And are you knowledgeable and experienced about the breed, common health defects, and what it takes to be properly breed dogs? Do you know how expensive it is?

Just please really think about what you are doing before making any decisions - the simple fact of the matter is that there are WAY too many Siberian huskies in this world today, we just do not need anymore.

If you are not careful you are going to end up with a 7 month old female pregnant by her own brother - we had several of those "combos" come into the FL rescue right before I left... there is something so, SO sad about a young, gangly, 9 month old little Siberian puppy nursing a litter of her own puppies...

Please just really make sure you are doing this for the right reasons and going about the right way. If you do not know the "right way", please ask for help - I am happy to give you as much information as I can.
Karl Pierre

Oh my. Where did- all this hair- come from

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 10:50am PST 
Please reconsider breeding. Read through this (it's on a Lab website but has universal information).

info

Along with that Kiona asked some great questions. If anyone knows their stuff it's Kiona and Luka. wink
[notify]
Lexi

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 12:16pm PST 
It can be very difficult to control an intact male when a female in heat is around.

Edited by moderator Thu Nov 27, '08 7:10am PST

Edited by forums moderator
Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 12:22pm PST 
I disagree, Lexi.

Many intact dogs are perfectly well-behaved - Luka was and is a total sweetheart, and never once has caused an issue at the dogpark or been harassed. Siberians respond very well to patient and consistent training and I have never felt as though any of my fosters or current dogs were "dominant". Being intact or unspayed does not mean you cannot have a good natured and well-behaved Siberian.

I personally am far more concerned about the possibility of the OP adding to the Siberian husky overpopulation, not any issues he may or may not have because his dogs are intact. I do not think he is stupid at all, but I do hope he will take the time to properly inform himself about whatever route he takes, and fully understands and appreciates the ramifications of those actions. I believe that adding more Siberians to the world is the last thing anyone without a serious and strong interest in breeding to better the breed - and undertaking that responsibility very seriously - needs to be doing.

Edited by author Wed Nov 26, '08 12:24pm PST

Lexi

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 12:30pm PST 
I never said the OP was stupid just that his decision was stupid in my opinion. What is the point of keeping a dog intact if you are not going to breed it?? Just seems to be a silly and irresponsible decision to me not to mention the health implications of not neutering your dog. Is he going to allow the male the opportunity to mate (twice a year like is recommended by some vets, min once a year) or just provide him with years of frustration?
[notify]
Kiona CGC

The Prettiest- Princess

Barked: Wed Nov 26, '08 2:16pm PST 
I am sorry Lexi, I misunderstood the way you worded your post, I do not want the OP to think you said they were "stupid".

Problem is - the OP IS planning on breeding his dogs. Hopefully that will change, though!
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2