GO!

Why do Huskies howl?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Lana

Barked: Thu Nov 13, '08 3:56pm PST 
Lana only howls when she is put in the crate at night. She howls to much and loud we had people knocking on our door at all hours of the night. I didnt want to but a muzzle on her so i let her out over night to see what she would get into and do. When i woke up she everything was fine. She now goes into the crate on her own but as pack leader I put her in there when she is bad. I corrected the howling and only goes into the crate when she is bad. I have a different crate she goes into when we travel.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 16, '11 1:15pm PST 
I think Siberian's are just talkitive that way. I love it when my dogs howl, not Husky's. I actually taught my German Shepherd mix how to howl by howling at sirens... I know, silly. Now she does it on cue, and my little dog does it with her - very cute. Here's a vid of a Siberian and an English Mastiff howling to their mom's cell phone ring. http://www.ilovedogs.com/2011/11/meet-the-howling-howl-oween-contest -winners/
[notify]
Kelly - Our Angel At- the Bridg

Mr. Fatty-Pants

Barked: Thu Nov 17, '11 10:03am PST 
OMG - Our Kelly was a "crazy" talker, howler, whatever you want to call it! Could be sparked by anything and anywhere! Once my husband had him at the vet and they were asked to wait outside becuase he was so loud, he was annoying the cats in the next room! At puppy class - he would get going and even the trainer could not over-talk him - she announced to the class - "this is a husky people, and this is what Huskys do - they scream, they howl" - again, daddy was so embarrassed!I am sure there were loads of times when people thought we were just doing some harm to him - he was so loud! On bath days at day care, he wore the muzzle or gentle leader - they said sometimes they'd had enough! Of course, the grandparents & friends just thought it was hilarious! Only ones who seemed to get annoyed with it were our teenage girls, which is funny since I'm sure given the amount of "howling;' and talking they do, I'm sure Kelly would say he found them just as annoying at times!
[notify]

Sakari

Divas can get- dirty too !

Barked: Fri Nov 18, '11 7:04am PST 
For Sakari I think it is more about hearing herself laugh out loud
she is EXTREMELY vocal with her howling and wooowoooing it's adorable and I love it! She has even taught our 7 month old Aussie mix how to howl and they have contests to see who can howl the longest (or loudestthinking)
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Fri Nov 18, '11 10:03pm PST 
Fritz will talk, especiall if he is happy or wants a treat. His howler is a little broke. He will howl when I come home from work but his voice breaks. It isn't a mornful howl I'm sorry to say. More of a rusty grating howl. big laugh

Do you think some nice fish oil might improve his performance?
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2