GO!

Why do Huskies howl?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Blitz

Husky Love

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '08 4:10pm PST 
I have 2 huskies, and one only howls when he's upset, which is rare. BLitz on the other hand howls daily and I'm not sure why. Sometimes I think its because he wants attention or is upset, but then this morning his tail was wagging (a happy sign from him) and he had his ball, but was howling. So are there many reasons for a howl, or maybe Blitz is just a goof ball.

????????????????
[notify]
Ami

If it's fluffy,- it's edible.

Barked: Sat Sep 13, '08 8:54am PST 
Ami never makes a sound...maybe once a month she will be excited enough to bark once, but that will be all....it's really weird, especially since all the other huskies I know are talkers.
[notify]
Fun On The- Run Kennel- Racing

'10 Junior- Iditarod, 6th- place!

Barked: Mon Sep 15, '08 1:16am PST 
I was told by a trusted friend and Husky owner that they howl when they are happy. I know it is really eerie in my neighborhood because there are several hundred dogs that will start howling together...
[notify]

Brutus

Brutus the- Buddhist-the Zen- of Dog

Barked: Tue Sep 16, '08 5:55pm PST 
Brutus is more of a talker or a barker (more like a wooo-woooer!) But I have a couple of husky clients that come in for baths that are true Husky "singers"! Of course since I have a streak of insanity I get "talking" with them and we have a grand old time!! Don't know if my co-workers share that opinion though BOL!!
[notify]
Bandit

Barked: Thu Sep 18, '08 7:43am PST 
yeah, Bandit hardly ever howls. She never really has, maybe only a handfull of times. Most of the time its in the morning when she wakes up she will be talkative but not as much as she did when I first got her. The only time she barks is when she is playing with other dogs or wants attention. I wish she was more vocal and act more like a husky lol I wonder if I adopted a cat sometimes as much as she likes to sleep lol
[notify]
Tucker

Don't know who- dug that hole,- Mama!

Barked: Fri Sep 19, '08 12:15pm PST 
Tucker talks, and talks and Howls!

He just sometimes joins in on the conversation and starts talking, but he loves to Howl the most I think.

He howls when he is lonely, he howls when he is happy, he howls when a song on the radio comes on that he really likes (no accounting for taste but he loves that Miley Cyrus song that goes something like) 'last time I freaked out...something something...she's just being Miley" (we have been working on Metallica so he doesn't embarass me in public by bursting out in song to Miley, but Tuck definitely has his own taste in music sadly) and he will Howl along with Miley and woo woo during the parts where she is singing rapidly or fast. Anyway, I joke with my niece who loves Miley that it is because she is hurting his ears, but truth is his tail is wagging the whole time and he doesn't try to leave...he likes it *sigh*.

If I am playing rock band he will jump up and happily come in the room and get next to the mike and howl and sing along with me, so much so we started our on Wii Rock Band called Husky's Howl. Yeah, we have never even made it through the first song without getting booed off stage, but it doesn't phase Tuck!

In short, at least Tucker howls when he is sad, lonely, happy, excited, wants to sing and sometimes just because he wants to with no other reason for it!! And he loves if his people will join in and howl with him! I do...I am sure the neighbors think we are crazy, but he does have a beautiful wolf-like howl!

Tucker's Dad

Edited by author Fri Sep 19, '08 12:19pm PST

[notify]
Loki

Big Baby Boy

Barked: Sat Sep 20, '08 2:09pm PST 
Loki rarely howled when he was the only child (whined a lot, though). When Leah came along, they took up howling when we left them alone, even to just go in the back of the house or in the yard. And they'd howl when they were bored (time for a walk!) or when we all came home. Side note: Leah's a mix, and she can't howl - she just barks really loud! Since we got Roary, our Malamute, the howling has really stepped up. Now it's when we leave, when we come back, when we're ignoring them, when they're separated, when they're reunited... it's really loud now laugh out loud

I think it's a lot like wolf communication - it's a way of bringing the pack together and sharing common emotions. I've read that discordant howling is excitement and play, while that beautiful in-harmony howling is about strengthening the pack bonds.

Friends and relatives think it's cool. But it's pretty much worn off with my husband and I! Though we do still join in now and then...
[notify]
nikko,

can of red- bull,prince- nikko,sexy,

Barked: Sat Sep 27, '08 8:31am PST 
nikko and frost howl but most of the time it when they hear an ambulance sometimes though rarely for no reason. but frost always howls when he is upset
[notify]
Sasha

Doggie life is- sooo good!

Barked: Wed Oct 22, '08 12:25pm PST 
Sasha is your classic "talker". When we drive to the dog park, she leans between the seats and "woo, woos" until we arrive at our destination. On the ride home, she is way more relaxed. When she gets with our neighbors dog, which is a chow/husky mix, the two of them have howl fests! It's hilarious to watch. They put they heads together and howl up to the sky for a few minutes at a time. My neighbors also have a lab, which can't howl, so she just barks along!
[notify]
Boomer

I want my- humans!

Barked: Fri Oct 24, '08 7:36am PST 
Boomer was a howler, the only person he barked at was someone that mistreated him and he hated him (litterally). I miss him so.. I went to a shelter and found the most preacious littel girl no one has even called or anything about her I am going to adopted her. But she imediately started talking to me. Now I need to find her a name. She is black and white. A heart shape white face and neck area. she is about 1 year old . Blue eyes Any Ideas?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2