GO!

Eye problems :-(

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Tormé

Jazz Wolf

Barked: Wed Apr 9, '08 9:26am PST 
Hey guys! New here, and I just got rescued. I was in a kill shelter and taken out for a week with a family that had another husky and brought back, they said I don't get along with others. I'm with a new family now that really cares and I really do get along with others!

Anyway, I'm an all white male, blue eyes, probably 2 years old, no more than 3. My right eye is always dilated though. When I was taken to the vet on my first day home my owner asked him about this. He looked in my eye, saw there was some retina damage, but said he can't tell the extent of the problem, or how much I can see in that eye.

My owner's sister is pre-vet and sent him this link:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/anisocoria-in-dogs/page1.aspx

He's scared now because anisocoria looks to be the first sign of really severe stuff. But there's nothing wrong with me right now, and the vet didn't mention any tests. Have you guys had this problem before? Is this curable? My owner would love to be able to run all those tests on me but he's not a millionaire.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Dec 8, '11 7:21pm PST 
Hi,
I know your post was a very long time ago....but I was searching because I have a very similar story. I recently adopted a siberian husky, and just noticed this problem. I was wondering what ended up happening in your case?
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Sun Dec 11, '11 2:55pm PST 
If your dog is having eye problems, you need to see a veterinary ophthalmologist. Eyes are a complicated organ that can present with a myriad of issues. Regular vets need to know basic information about every bit of a dog's (and cat's, ferret's, rabbit's, depending on the vet bird's, lizard's) body and how to treat them. It simply isn't possible for a general vet to be a general vet and also specialize in eyes. In the same way that you don't go to your general physician to get your eyeglasses prescription updated.

That being said, there are vets out there who do not acknowledge the limits of their education. A good vet will tell you when the issue is outside of their expertise, but a vet with a chip on their shoulder will misdiagnose based on their limited knowledge, or tell you they don't see a problem so nothing is wrong.
[notify]