GO!

Help with excessive howling

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2  
Nika

It's ALL About- The Nika!

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '07 6:32am PST 
We run into a LOT of folks who aren't keen on crating. The issue is that humans just don't understand that us dogs are.. well we are dogs. NOT humans! We LIKE closed spaces aka dens. I have heard some dogs HATE their crates.. but typically that is because the humans used it wrong and put the dog in and went off the work EVERYTIME.. well that just makes the crate bad because it is associated with leaving and it ruins the den aspect.

Crate training IS also SOO important because things can happen in life where you NEED a crate. Like what if you need surgery. The vet is stressful enough.. then they toss you in a crate too that you are not sue to. What if you need to rest and be crated to avoid hurting yourself? At about 4 years old I was able to be trusted outside of a crate, but not until then. But I will be 10 in February and I still have to use my crate on occasion. I eat in my crate, I also sometimes stay places and a crate is important there so I don't get loose when brining luggage in and out.

Please consider a crate and tell you partner to remember dogs are different than people. They LIKE dens!
[notify]
☆ Nikaya ☆

&hearts Husky- Love &hearts

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '07 8:38am PST 
  Nikaya is not fond of crates because he had a bad experience that required him to stay in a crate for about six weeks before we even could get him adjusted to the crate.  Of course, we took him out quite often and we went for potty breaks about every hour or when he showed signs of having to eliminate.   
When we first got Nikaya he jumped off about a 6" ledge on our porch.  He had a cast on for 6 weeks and had to stay confined during that period.  We had not had time to crate-train him or for him to adjust to the crate thing.  He just didn't understand the concept of a crate.  He still doesn't.  He's primarily an outside dog now.  We have a 10' by 40' kennel, which he uses at night and when we are away, but never away overnight.  During the day, he's on like a  80' cable system or comes to visit me inside. big grin 

Also, Nikaya is a very independent dog.  He likes to come and go as he pleases.  He does not like to ask for permission to go potty or eat or so forth.  While in crate, I think he believes he's too dependent on others.  Just my observation, though.  He's fine as long as he has the power in his hands.  LOL! 

Caitlyn (Nikaya's mommy)
[notify]
Cairo

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '07 10:39am PST 
Personally, I don't think a crate, alone, will be the answer.

1. more exercise (as everyone else has suggested) -- as in structured exercise, like going for a run, or a long long walk -- -- not just being free to pace and fritter off energy in the backyard. i think confinement in a kennel is harder for them to deal with than confinement on a leash while making continual forward progress.

2. get another dog. believe it or not, this is great for separation anxiety and boredom. HOWEVER, there are caveats to this one -- obviously dog#2 must get along with #1, and this is not a substitute for exercise. worst case, you end up with 2 howlers. but it's very likely they can "busy" each other.

3. more constructive stimulation -- boredom is a pain.

good luck!
[notify]

☆ Nikaya ☆

&hearts Husky- Love &hearts

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '07 1:24pm PST 
Today Nikaya and I went for a long run/walk together. Yippee! We had so much fun. We ran a little and then walked a little. My sister came along so we had to wait for her a lot. I let Nikaya stop and sniff and we went again when he was ready. I think while exercising, your dog should be able to do more than just walk right by your side like a robot. Just my opinion, though. And afterward, which is right now, he is taking a long nap on my bed while I am on the computer. This is amazing because I had gotten out of exercising him for a little bit and he had so much energy that he couldn't contain it. Thought I would share my story as proof that exercise is necessary for Sibes. Without it, they will not live up to the standard of the breed.

Caitlyn (Nikaya's mommy)

Edited by author Wed Dec 26, '07 1:25pm PST

[notify]
BREE

DIG DEEP AND- HUNT WELL !

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '08 6:17pm PST 
Bree and Zeke have a howling session once a night for about five minutes... Our neighbors think it's neat....we'll see how they feel in the summer!!

They both love their crate and actually go in them (they each have their own) when they want to get away from the chaos!

Exercise exercise exercise !! I agree with that - we try to get them to doggie day care once a week but would love to take them more.
snoopy
[notify]
BREE

DIG DEEP AND- HUNT WELL !

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '08 6:19pm PST 
if you try the crate, put a blanket over it with only the front open. it makes it more like a den for them...Bree didn't like it until we did that and again she love it now! way to go
[notify]
max

i love my- beautiful bride- to be trina.

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '08 8:44am PST 
wave
[notify]
Yukon

You're here!!! - Okay, you can go- now.

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '08 12:39pm PST 
Good luck with this... we would love to see how the progress goes.

As mentioned above, exercise is everything with these breeds. I had similar problems with Yukon when he was young with the additional fear that he would run away from time to time. I was instructed to walk him (we live in very steep hills) every morning for at least 30 mins to drain his energy and, if possible, another 30 mins when I got home from work. It literally cured all of his destructive behaviors and you will notice the results almost right away.
[notify]

Barked: Thu Jul 12, '12 4:04pm PST 
My dog Ahyoka is howling all night we have built a big dog run and bought her another Siberian husky to go with her but it still didnt work im going out any time she starts howling and throw a bucket of water on her but when i go back in she starts again she is just going onto a year what should i do ?
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 19)  
1  2