GO!

Help with excessive howling

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Elektra

**Makes my world- complete**

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '07 4:25am PST 
Any tips on how to stop Elektras howling? Neighbours complaining! Recently moved house, and Elektra spends the nights outside, in the outbuilding as she cant be trusted in the house due to her chewing and generally causing trouble!
Was thinking about getting a crate but partners not keen.
Really need help before neighbours phone the police! (they are ott imo)

Edited by author Wed Jan 16, '08 1:09pm PST

[notify]
Nikki

Woo-Woo-Woo!

Barked: Sat Dec 8, '07 8:38pm PST 
a crate is really a great idea, it helped stopped my other dog from chewing, it may take a little while for them to get used to it but it's better than complaining neighbors
[notify]
Sadie,- GBeAD-C1

Will the real- Shady Sadie plz- stand up?

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '07 7:05am PST 
Is she getting enough excersise? Sadie usually howls alot when she wants to go on walks or jogs shrug
[notify]

Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '07 2:06pm PST 
I second (or third?) a crate.

She's probably howling because she's lonely and wants company. Huskies (and dogs in general) are very pack-oriented and don't want to shut out alone. In that case, the best thing to do is bring back into the pack!

Depending on her level of anxiety, she might continue to howl in the crate because she can't be directly with you. In that case, ignore it, and it will go away. NEVER let her out of the crate when she's howling, don't even acknowledge it (since attention is what she wants). You'd have to do the same thing if you were leaving her in the outbuilding, but at least in the house the neighbor's won't be able to hear much.

It does sound like she could use more exercise, too. Remember you have a breed that was created to run for miles on end every day while hauling a lot of weight behind them. Some destructive behavior is normal for a puppy, but a dog shouldn't be up all night destroying the house. Howling in itself is exercise - Think of how you'd feel if you stood in a room and screamed for an hour. If she's tired, she's much more apt to settle down immediately and fall asleep (and stay that way).
[notify]
Nikki

Woo-Woo-Woo!

Barked: Sun Dec 9, '07 6:48pm PST 
agree with more exercise...lots an dlots of exercise needed with these dogs! you should look into dog scootering or bikejoring! great ways to get out that energy!
[notify]
Kelly - Our Angel At- the Bridg

Mr. Fatty-Pants

Barked: Mon Dec 10, '07 9:31am PST 
We agree - lots of excercise and play - we both go to Doggie Day Care 3 times a week. A note from Mom - Mostly they howl for attention, when thier tummies are full, when they are outside and want to come in, when they are wrestling or playing. After Kelly eats he will lay on the floor and start to "swim", then he starts to howl - just a little noise at first, then it gets bigger and bigger! We've started to tell them to "zip it" and put a finger on their lips or nose.
[notify]
Kristari's September Calypso

Calypso has- landed!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '07 7:56am PST 
I agree with what everyone has said. Exercise is by far the most important thing - Sibes are high energy dogs and if they don't have a way to release that energy...

The crate idea was my first thought too. Calypso did not like her crate at first but now she tolerates it. I have recently discovered that she prefers a wire crate because she can see what is going on around her.

Alice (Calypso's human)
[notify]
Kristari's September Calypso

Calypso has- landed!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '07 7:58am PST 
Oops, double post. Sorry.

Edited by author Tue Dec 11, '07 7:59am PST

[notify]
Nikki

Woo-Woo-Woo!

Barked: Tue Dec 11, '07 8:56pm PST 
both my dogs absolutely love the wire crate i have...they share it...not at the same time..but marley will sleep in there when nikki doesn't need to be crated (when i'm home) and nikki goes in there while i'm gone..and sometimes when i'm home and marley isn't in there...they both seem really attached to it.
[notify]
☆ Nikaya ☆

&hearts Husky- Love &hearts

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '07 10:04am PST 
Exercise, attention, love, affection, and companionship are all necessary things for Siberian Huskies. They need oodles of exercise. Whenever you have some extra time on your hands, I suggest taking the dog for a walk. Also, Siberian Huskies are very energetic so I suggest brisk walking or jogging. Just walking doesn't seem to cut it for them.

My Sibe needs attention 24/7. I am unemployed right now and stay home all day with him. I am blessed not to have bills, etc. I am still young and live with my parents, which helps. Anyway, Nikaya craves attention all the time and if he doesn't get it, he will find a way or become destructive. We live in the country so the vocalization doesn't really affect our neighbors. I love to hear him howl and sing.

You may also try to get him a companion. Sibes need other dogs. They are extremely pack-oriented and don't like to be left alone. Nikaya is currently an only dog but I'm working on that. Also, as I said,I am able to stay home all day with him. Nikaya is a predominantly outside dog. He stays in a 10 by 40 ft kennel at night and when we go somewhere (not overnight, though.) Every morning he howls when he wakes up to tell me that he is ready to come out of his kennel. I keep him on a cable tie-out during the day, but watch him very closely.

You may also talk with a trainer as they will be able to give you a lot of helpful, informative, and insightful information. You may find that obedience training will also help if he is not already.

Good luck and let us know how it goes...

Edited by author Wed Dec 12, '07 10:06am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2