GO!

Typical Shih Tzu Pup size?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Bingley

Cookie Monster

Barked: Sun Oct 12, '08 4:48pm PST 
My pup Bingley is just 4 months old now, and I was wondering if he is typical sized, or a large-ish Shih Tzu?

He is probably around 8 pounds (was 6 pounds a month ago at his last vet visit) has a 14" chest girth, a 9" neck girth, and a big fat puppy head, so none of those nice puppia type harnesses fit him (i got him a vest instead since his head is too big).

Yesterday after his puppy class, there were 3 other shih tzu shopping with their families, one was his age, and he looked huge next to it, and then two were full grown, at about 10 years old, and he was almost the same size as them. Of course these three were girls, so that could make the difference, but up until then I thought he was a normal little Shih Tzu, now he just seems big for his age.

Am I making sense? He's not fat, he's a healthy weight, I was just wondering if he is normal sized for his age, and the others were just small Shih Tzu, or if he, being a male, will end up being big compared to those other Shih Tzu? Does anyone know?

Edited by author Sun Oct 12, '08 4:50pm PST

[notify]
Trixie Mae

Lojo's Bella Ju- Ming Trixie Mae

Barked: Mon Oct 20, '08 12:16pm PST 
Males are generally larger than females and AKC breed standard is 9 to 16 lbs. He sounds like he's a big boy, but not overly so. And I definitely wouldn't consider him to be "large" for the breed, at least not at 4 months old. I know purebred Shih Tzu that are as large as 22 lbs. and some to be as small as 4 lbs. full grown. I will tell you that it seems that the larger ones of the breed seem to have less health issues. Trixie Mae is 9 months old now and weighs just under 8-1/2 lbs., at 4 months she weighed 4.8 lbs. and at 5 months weighed 6 lbs., if that gives you anything to go by. I've also read that the smaller breeds are considered "full grown" or "adult size" by about 6 to 8 months of age. If I had to wager a guess, I would say it wouldn't surprise me to see him at about 13 to 15 lbs. when he's done growing. Were you able to see his parents? That gives an excellent idea of how big they will be. Trixie Mae's Mom was about 7 lbs. and her Dad just over 10 lbs. Her breeder said she expected she would be about 8 to 9 lbs. full grown. She hit the nail on the head with that one.

Hope this helps.
[notify]
Bingley

Cookie Monster

Barked: Tue Oct 21, '08 2:24pm PST 
Thanks! That does help smile I did get to meet his mom and big sister, (his dad was just a borrowed stud and didn't live with the breeder) but I can't remember how big they were. But it seemed like they were bigger than the Shih Tzus I met at the store. The breeder sent me home with a "baby book" with pictures of the momma and the whole litter, but since in the pictures she is next to itty bitty pups, it's hard to compare anymore, haha. I still keep in touch with the breeder (keep her updated with pics and health updates) so I'll have to ask her again how big the mom is, and how big his dad is if she remembers.
[notify]

Meisha Marie

Lookin for- Cookies

Barked: Thu Oct 23, '08 7:24pm PST 
Me and Trixie Mae are the same size. I was the runt of my litter, and they didn't think I would make the 8 lb minimum it takes to show. I fooled them; I am now a big 8.4 lbs. Mommy grooms a lot of Shih tzus, and some are small like me, but the majority of them (both sexes) are in the 15 lb range. I know there are imperial size, which are very very tiny, and I hear they have health problems with them. The show folks I came from state that they don't breed imperials, and wouldn't even consider it. Bingley is the cutiest little guy. I love his pictures.
[notify]
Tyce

RIP Brianna

Barked: Fri Jan 9, '09 10:02am PST 
At 7 months I'm up to 12 lbs!!! I UNDERSTAND what you're going through!! I grew like a weed too! It's cool though cause it probably means that somewhere along the line you came from show dogs, since the smaller ones can't be shown. The normal breed standard is 9 lbs, so don't be too concerned! big grin
[notify]
Bingley

Cookie Monster

Barked: Fri Jan 9, '09 3:34pm PST 
Yup, Bingley is a little over 6 months old now, and I still feel like I'm always making his collar a little bigger. Still not a chubby boy. At his last appointment he was a little over 10 lbs. I can't imagine that he's gained too much more, but you never know. My guess is in the 11-12 lbs range, but then I've gotten used to carrying a heavier pup now. He goes in for his neuter in a week, so I guess I'll find out his weight then.
[notify]
~*Meili*~

Mommy says I'm- an Empress!!!

Barked: Mon Jan 12, '09 1:28pm PST 
Hi Bingley. Hehe... I think you look fabulous! cloud 9
[notify]
Maci

Mommy's little- Piggy!

Barked: Tue Jan 20, '09 8:50pm PST 
I just had a litter of pups birthday 8/1/08

2 boys 1 girl....

The 2 largest are males...... I still have 1 male and 1 female with me.

Bert is about 8lbs now and is just shy about 2 weeks of being 6 months old and Lea is about 5lbs. Im hoping she reaches 9lbs as I didnt breed for smaller size. And I hope to enter them into Show if I can get a judge or handler to look them over and see if they meet the standard.

I am 14lbs and the father was about 10lbs

Hope this helps
[notify]
Cosmo

In Training...

Barked: Mon Jan 26, '09 8:00pm PST 
I was wondering the same thing for a while. I kept seeing all this tiny Shih Tzu puppies. I am 4 months old and currently weigh 8lbs. it's good to know I'm not the only one! My mom is 9lbs and my dad is 12lbs, so the breeder says I'll be somewhere in between there.
[notify]
Cash Money- Millionaire

Barked: Mon Apr 13, '09 9:57pm PST 
Granted, I bought Cash BECAUSE he was going to be small enough for my female. . . that said, he's 2lbs at 12 weeks old. Lolly (my girl) was about 3lbs and she topped out at 8 (9 when she's in full coat)

They typically stop growing between 6-8 months so you should be able to get a good sense of his adult size then.

I have also been told that multiplying their 12 week weight by 3 is a fairly accurate estimate. Hope that helps!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2