GO!

When Do Shih Tzu's stop growing....

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Rocco

Barked: Thu Sep 4, '08 12:50pm PST 
Hello All! We're new here. My little boy Rocco is 10 weeks old. He's super cool.
Anyway, I'm in a debate with my hubby..... At what age approx. do Shih Tzu's stop growing? Basically, when will he be his adult weight. Thanks so much!
[notify]
Trixie Mae

Lojo's Bella Ju- Ming Trixie Mae

Barked: Mon Sep 8, '08 9:05am PST 
According to everything I have read, small breeds like the Shih Tzu are considered "full grown" or "adult size" they say by about 6 months, larger breeds will continue to grow up to about 18 months. I do believe they can do a little growing yet up to about a year, but it usually isn't by much. Trixie Mae is just about 8.5 lbs. now and she gained the last 1/2 lb. or so in about the last month and has remained the same for the last couple weeks, she is currently 7 months and 2 weeks old. I think she's close to being done.

If you saw your pups parents, that should give you a pretty good indication how big he will get. Trixie Mae's mother is about 7 lbs. and her father is about 10 lbs. so we figured she would get to be about 8 or 9 lbs. and she's right there.

Hope this helps.

Edited by author Mon Sep 8, '08 9:07am PST

[notify]
Annie Marie

Barked: Tue Sep 9, '08 10:09am PST 
Hi There
I have 3 Shih Tzu That I Adore. 2 of them will be 2 years old in Nov. and the baby Just turned one in July. They slow down at about 6 months but mine did not stop until about 9 months. My baby gained weight when I had her spayed but the older of my two girls did not gain any weight when I had her spayed. Hope this helps
Sandra, Balyee, Obi and Annielaugh out loud
[notify]

Rocco

Barked: Wed Sep 10, '08 8:52am PST 
Thanks so much!!!!!smile
[notify]
Eve

ShihtzuBeauty

Barked: Sat Sep 13, '08 10:36am PST 
My vet. has always told me around 8mths. and mine have stayed pretty true to this.smile

http://shihtzuchattertwo.sunlitesplace.com/forums/index.p hp?
[notify]