GO!

Plucking Ear Hair

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Sophie

Are you gonna- eat that?

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '07 10:00am PST 
I'm a new Tzu owner and am a little unsure of plucking her ear hair. Should I just let a groomer do it? I'm wanting to let her hair grow out so I haven't planned on taking her to the groomers. And also how often do you have to pluck the hairs?
Thanks!
[notify]
Marely

aka FLASH -

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '07 4:34pm PST 
I am a newer shih tzu owner as well, I have my groomer pluck the ear hairs once a month when they do the rest of the grooming.

Vet tried to talk me in to having pup sedated to have done....NO WAY!!!
[notify]
Henry

It's all about- ME

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '07 5:48am PST 
I have six Shih Tzu and groom them all myself. I would say you need to pluck every six - eight weeks depending on how much hair there is. Be sure to use ear powder. It makes it alot easier and quicker. If your letting the hair grow, don't forget to trim the pads of their feet as well.
[notify]

THE BOYZZZ

HAKUNAMATATA!!!

Barked: Fri Nov 16, '07 4:59pm PST 
Hi pupsway to go
Our Groomer does ours but you can buy a powder called THORNIT on the net we use it sometimes and your mummy puts in on her fingers and rubs the inside hair of the ear and it breaks the hair and makes it much less painful for us!! our groomer introduced it to us cause sometimes zeke will only let mummy do his ears...
Luff the boyz
xxxxxxxx
[notify]
Paddington

Be tuff ! The- "dog days" of- summer can

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '07 9:50am PST 
Be very careful with the ears on a shih tzu our vet told us that they dont really need plucking often. Paddington ended up with ear infection in both ears from a groomer pulling the hair from his ears, poor little guy was in a lot of pain so that grooming went from 30 dollars groom to 80 dollars in medicine to correct the infection she had caused.
[notify]
Paddington

Be tuff ! The- "dog days" of- summer can

Barked: Mon Dec 3, '07 9:50am PST 
Be very careful with the ears on a shih tzu our vet told us that they dont really need plucking often. Paddington ended up with ear infection in both ears from a groomer pulling the hair from his ears, poor little guy was in a lot of pain so that grooming went from 30 dollars groom to 80 dollars in medicine to correct the infection she had caused.
[notify]
Nitro

Nitro aka- Mr.Miracle

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '07 4:21am PST 
What is wrong with sedation??

I am comftorable in every area of my dogs grooming except plucking. I have had more than one vet 'teach'me but I do not ever do as good a job and not comftorable with it. And my dog absolutely HATES it, it makes him very uncomftorable. I think someone pulling hair out of my ears would tick me off too big grin

I would rather a vet deal with my dogs ears than a groomer. Unfortunately, we just moved and left our bestest vet behind frown And given an experience had yesterday at the new vets here, somewhat unsure what we'll do next.
[notify]
♥MOLL- Y &- GRACIE&heart- s;

We Are Family!

Barked: Sun Dec 16, '07 5:12pm PST 
my groomer does ours! If u get an ear infection with alot of hair in da ear, its hard to get the Rx meds down in there, too much hair can really be a problem also.
[notify]
Teddie- Ruxpin

If it's in your- hands; it's all- mine.

Barked: Wed Dec 19, '07 8:40pm PST 
I have a 2 year old adopted Shih Tzu and I have him go to the groomers about once a season to be fully groomed. Every three weeks to have his nails trimmed and just when his ear hair needs to be pulled. I don't do it a set day, but just when I see it needs to be done. I've had him 7 months and it's been done once. He goes in this Sunday to be groomed and it will all be pulled.

I personally would want to do it myself, just because you have to know the right way and the the right tools, the right direction to pull. There is just much to risk and pluss Teddie would never let me do it.confused
[notify]
Noah

Don't you just- love me *hugs*

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '08 8:17am PST 
I just had my Noah last last week and I am still learning how to groom him. It is also my first to have a shih tzu. My poodle and my other dog doesnt need plucking so I do not have any idea how to do it. I have never had the chance to bring him to the groomer yet, maybe next week. How old should he be to start plucking his ear hairs?
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2