GO!

Dog with possible OCD...sound familiar to anybody?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Sun Sep 8, '13 2:47pm PST 
I am new to this forum. I have been searching the web to get information and I thought I would come to the people that would probably know the most. Our dog licked her tail about 2-3 months ago and got an infection. At that time we just thought that maybe she had dry skin and that was the reason she licked it raw. We treated the sore than she left it alone. Then about a month ago, I noticed she was licking her left leg and starting to get a raw spot, then she jumped off our table on our deck and ripped part of her toenail off. Took her to the vet and they took the toenail off. Two days after coming home from the vet, she started to bite at things in the air, and then act like something was biting her on her back. Thinking she came home with fleas, we bathed her and did the whole 9 yards of cleaning my house. After a couple of days she was still doing this. Called the vet back and he thought maybe she was having a reaction to her antibiotics. So we took her off that. We called the vet back the next week to tell him nothing was changing. We had started to give her anti anxiety meds and he said to keep trying that and then give him a call in a week to see if that helped. Well we are at that point and she is still doing it. She has better days than others. She sleeps behind our couch now which she had never done before. I was curious if anybody out there has experienced this with their dog and if maybe this could be OCD. She constantly licks at the paw that the toenail was taken off of. Any ideas, would be great. We are just sick that we don't have the same dog we had a month ago. They have run blood tests too and nothing was wrong there. Thanks in advance.
[notify]
Arya

Serious Face

Barked: Tue Sep 10, '13 9:46am PST 
Have they done an allergy panel...? There could be something in the environment or outside that is causing her so much discomfort. I'm sure they've probably taken a skin scraping and checked for a fungal problem already...

Other than that, if the anxiety meds aren't helping much I would REALLY make sure she's getting lots of exercise. You're posting in the Shiba forum, and Shibas are very athletic dogs. I know that under-exercised dogs can develop neurotic behavior.
Start taking her out for at the bare minimum an hour walk. If you are already doing this, bump it up to an hour and a half to two hours. Even better if you can split them into two walks, one in the morning and one in the evening. In between, take her out to play games in the yard or play games in the house, like tug or use a flirt pole if you have one.

Of course, you'll want to make sure that toe is healed up before you do serious exercise... but as soon as your vet says it's okay to start walking her again, give it your all.

Good luck! Keep us updated!
[notify]

Barked: Sun Aug 17, '14 9:04am PST 
Oh my gosh. Didn't remember posting this last year so I posted another one. Didn't even know you had responded either. I appreciate your feed back. The problem with excersizing her is that she hates to do anything and I can't find a harness to walk her that she can't get out of. She starts off good walking but when she's done walking, she's done and stops and immediately can get out of her harness. She don't stop when she gets out and we live by a busy hiway so I'm scared to take her out anymore. So no she definately doesn't get enough exersize but would if I could figure out how to keep her safe.
[notify]