GO!

Mame Shiba?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Roomba

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 5:59pm PST 
We adopted a Shiba Inu puppy almost two months ago from a rescue. She was a breeder relinquish because she was born with detached retinas. When she was with her littermates, no one realized she was blind. She is 4 1/2 months old now and weights 5.5 lbs. Could she be mame? We didn't even realize there was such a thing until a friend mentioned it. The vet told us that at 4 months a puppy is generally about half the size it will be when it's full grown. Needless to say, we're a long way away from ~20lbs! Any info would be great!
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 10:02pm PST 
Poor pup sad breeder gave her up like that! frown

Most shiba breeder's I know who breed for mame shiba do it for money and don't care about health..

Breeder who does this has recently gotten into some trouble.

Your pup could just be a small shiba or runt of litter.

I forgot what Saya weighed at that age.

I'm glad she has a good home now.

I never met a mame shiba before so can't offer much info.

I know there can be some big shiba inu even when the parents were both normal size. Pup just grew big. 30lbs is pretty big for a shiba.

Detached retinas is no reason to give a pup to a shelter. :

How is she doing is she completely blind?

I seen on some forums of shiba who are completely blind or partially and live good lives and happy.
[notify]
Roomba

Barked: Sat Mar 9, '13 9:19pm PST 
Thanks. We were just curious if anyone had experience with mame Shibas; we don't care how big she gets (or doesn't get). She is completely blind according to the vet, but we are taking her to the vet school to have her eyes looked at as well as a couple other things. She does just fine blind, especially in the house and yard now that she knows her way around. Most people who meet her don't even realize she is blind. She is on her second week of obedience school and she is doing very well learning her commands! We are doing clicker training.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Mar 18, '13 6:33pm PST 
I got my puppy from a breeder as a mame shiba and was worried she was just a runt. Turns out the breeder was right smile and yes my puppy weighed about the same at 4 months! She evened out to about 10lbs at 6 months. Sweet story! And congrats smile
[notify]
Roomba

Barked: Sat Mar 23, '13 1:41pm PST 
Okay, that makes sense. Thanks! Looks like we've got a mame too.
[notify]