GO!

Shiba Inu Training / Questions

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 2:43pm PST 
Hi all!

I'm new here but have been filtering through for a long time. I just need some advice on what I can do with my Shiba Inu. So, i've been working on my Shiba's training since he was young but none of it seems to stick. He's around 2 now.

I tried positive only training which didn't seem to work. He would only respond in the case that a treat was available and wouldn't respond to the command until he saw the treat. So, if he was at a distance, it was ineffective. Then I tried whistle training his recall where i blow a whistle and treat repeatedly. That worked amazing for like a month and then he just stopped caring.

After that, I decided maybe I wasn't doing things right and figured I was half way there. I had an in-home trainer come and help me and it seems that i've been on the right track. Months go by and still no real results.

So... after awhile I was trying to figure out another method. I found a trainer in my area that used positive reinforcement methods combined with a remote collar. I was really hesitant and quite frankly uncomfortable with the idea of it. Eventually, I tried to collar on myself at the level they'd use with Fox. It didn't hurt at all and he didn't seem to show discomfort.

With this, I hired the trainer to do a 2 week board and train program. They're really cool people and treat the dog as if he is part of their family and the such. I just thought maybe I was doing things wrong. After 2 weeks, i've picked him up and his behaviors in the house are the same as before. Though, his outdoor behavior in terms of loose leash walking and the such is great.

The trainer told me I would have to continue working on the come command and that the remote collar would greatly help. Also, i've gone through a ton of training with my dog so i'm aware that nothing comes easy. I'm also aware that because now he's home, I need to teach him the commands he learned in a new area.

My problem is this. Do I continue using the remote collar? Would it be confusing to my dog if I used positive reinforcement for certain things and the remote collar for others? Should I use only one method? The trainer who had him for 2 weeks is going to come over and help me out in the house with him to get him settled and understand the rules.

Also, my Shiba has this crazy behavior that I don't understand. Any time I try to put on his leash or harness, he runs away! I've never met a dog that didn't want to go on a walk. I'm not sure how to resolve this, either.

Please help! I'm really confused. Haha.
[notify]
Takuma

Trouble!

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 2:05am PST 
Takuma also has a habit of figuring out when there's a reward available for following orders, in my experience it's one of the quirks of the shiba. They don't do things for free, and they're always interested in knowing what's in it for them.

With that in mind I imagine that you would have to keep up with the remote collar, or he will eventually figure out that it's no longer around. But that would probably best be a subject to discuss with the trainer who already worked with him. As for off the leash, my approach has been to use Takuma's love for rewards to my advantage. F.ex pieces of sausage or something equally delicious, and then I make it abundantly clear to him what's in my pocket before I take his leash off.

Not wanting to put on the leash before a walk happens at times as well, often if he's is in a playful mood. If I raise my voice and tell him to get "back here" that usually solves it though.

If it was me I'd probably ditch the remote collar though. But that is mainly because I know I'd have to use it forever, or Takuma would catch on and go back to his old habits. Not to mention how great positive reinforcement works for him as well compared to other types of training (been using positive to dial down his aggression towards other males with success so far!). But that is subjective and based on my shiba, so it might vary from dog to dog.

Edited by author Fri Nov 30, '12 2:09am PST

[notify]

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 11:49pm PST 
Thanks for your reply!

Honestly, positive reinforcement has worked for mostly everything besides recall. I was thinking that instead of using the remote shock collar, maybe I could replace it with an adjustable vibration collar. I figure it's the same methodology and was told the collar is supposed to be used as a marker. So I figure why can't a vibration collar be used as well?

Also, I agree 100% with you. He's generally very aware of what he's wearing. This is what makes me really want to figure out how to get him to come using positive reinforcement.
[notify]

Takuma

Trouble!

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 2:30pm PST 
Assuming he understands the command you use to call him over I'd suggest just trying to find a treat which he goes absolutely bonkers over. Regular dry dog treats from bags likely won't do the job here. What I usually do the times I let Takuma go off the leash or just practice the command is to bring a box of scandinavian paté made of pork liver. Before taking off his leash I let him have a taste so he's aware that paying attention to me will be worth it. Then I periodically call him in and make sure to praise him through the roof while he gets to stuff his face into the box of paté for a few moments.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 9:18pm PST 
He definitely knows all the commands and does everything perfect when food is involved. In fact, when there's treats, I'll go as far as saying he's a model citizen. Though, the thing that really gets me is in the case of an emergency. Especially with the recall.

Maybe I just have to make sure there's always treats available! Or maybe I should use them more sparingly so that way he doesn't know if he's going to get one or not.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Tue Dec 4, '12 9:17pm PST 
This might help with recall.
http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=dtb810p

shiba are not known for great recall and off leash skills so it'll take some work.

Well shiba aren't good for off leash due to prey drive and their independent selective hearing shibatude.. big laugh

Edited by author Tue Dec 4, '12 9:18pm PST

[notify]