GO!

first time shiba owner or no?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 4:01am PST 
hi so I'm thinking of getting a shiba next year but people keep telling me it's impossible and that shibas should never be a choice for a first dog. i never had a dog but i really want a shiba. so are they really that hard to manage and are they good with older cats?
[notify]
Goji

Barked: Fri Nov 9, '12 7:22am PST 
My first dog was a Shiba. I don't really have anything to compare my Shiba to as far as if she is harder or easier than raising other dogs. I have had her for about a 1 1/5 years, and I just recently got another one 4 months ago. Both of them have been great. They can be stubborn dogs though and I have had to be firm and consistent with my expectations of them. I do think that Shibas will run all over you if they think they can. But, they are super smart, so training goes quickly as far as them learning the ropes, but they are hard in that they sometimes don't want to do what you want them to do. My dogs have pretended that they don't know some bit of etiquette, like sitting before we come in the house, even though they are trained to do that. So, there have been times when it has taken me 10 minutes to get inside because we just wait until the dog decides I am more stubborn than she is.

So, I think it depends more on your personality than anything else. If you are the kind of person who can handle a dog like a Shiba, I say go for it if a Shiba is what you really want. dog walk
[notify]

Barked: Sat Nov 10, '12 6:28am PST 
then it's settled i'm getting a shiba cheer i'm just hoping that my cat wont be all over the little pup kitty
[notify]