GO!

Late Nights

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Roxi

Roxi - Little RoxStar

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 8:14am PST 
My husband and I brought home Roxi 6 months ago. She was crate trained, but we both felt so bad keeping her in there all night so we installed a doggie door out to a fenced grass area off our bedroom. She loves it and has more freedom around the house. We close it every night due to owls and coyotes. However the last 3 nights starting around 2am, she will start to whine when before she was sleeping through the night on her pillow/doggie bed. I have no idea why she is whinning all of a sudden at night. I have let her out thinking she needs to go potty, but she just goes outside to lay in the grass. I give her about 15 min before I call her back in. This goes on for about 2 hours till she finally goes back to sleep. I just wish I knew why she was whining at night. She isn't screaming, just a quiet whine. Any thoughts?
[notify]
Jasmine

Mom's Valentine

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 12:47pm PST 
She might be sensing something outside.... hard to say. Have you always closed the door at night? If yes, the whining will probably pass on its own...best to ignore her unless you really feel she needs to potty. If no, there might be your problem and it will take her time to adjust to being inside at night. Personally, I would not allow my dog out in a fenced yard in the middle of the night unsupervised - especially if I knew Coyotes were in the area.
[notify]