GO!

Fetch....

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Toshiro

Play with me?

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 11:02am PST 
So we work on fetch in the house. I have some treats on the coffee table, I sit next to it and throw the ball. Every 2nd or 3rd successful return is a treat.

But he's figured out that if the ball gets into the hallway, around a corner, I'll go get it to try again because he won't.

So without further delay...

"Toshi, get it!"

Ball goes around the corner, I get up to go get it. Little bugger waits till I'm out of sight around the corner, and jumps on the table to get the treat while I "Fetch."

Plotting to take over the world.
[notify]
Lola

i own u

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 11:08am PST 
funny how there are different personalities...

For Lola, fetching IS the treat. She is a fetchaholic. She will eat a yummy treat if i give it to her while shes focused on the fecthing object, but her eyes never look anywhere else.
[notify]
Hamlet

Is it a fox?

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 11:43am PST 
For Hammy, it's more complicated big grin

Chasing the ball is his favorite game, but he quickly learned that he needs to bring the ball back to us so he can continue to have fun. Although, he was four months old when he finally became reliable and enthusiastic about the "bringing it back" part.

I don't kid myself. He doesn't have fun bringing the ball back to me. He has fun chasing it and catching it. The "fetch" part is a necessary evil big grin
[notify]

Haun

Hunter Haun

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 11:50am PST 
It sounds like he has you pretty well trained. wink I bet he doesn't have to give you a treat either. big grin

This is one of those times where you inadvertently taught him not to fetch, if he couldn't see it. confused I think it might be better if you wait until he is doing something else before getting the ball. Try keeping the ball where he can see it until you have a reliable fetch every time. Maybe you could then get someone to help by standing in the hall to call him, to the ball, when it's out of sight. You need to take these things in steps. I have found a book, "Shaping Success", by Susan Garrett, that explains how dogs learn. It really opened up my eyes. If you want your pup to be really well trained, I highly recommend this book. It's about how she trained her dog into a agility champion, when she had her doubts that she could.I found it at www.dogwise.com. It came highly recommended by our favorite Vet. way to go
[notify]
Saki

I'm a licker,- not a biter!

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 12:20pm PST 
I gave up on fetch with Saki because she would just look at me like "You want me to do what????"

Saki loves to catch and she actually drops it in front of me to do again and she loves to play soccer with a tennis ball. I kick it and we both chase it!!! I guess you just have to find out what he likes to play!
[notify]
Hokkaido

Excuse me - I think that toy- is MINE!

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 1:15pm PST 
Hokkaido likes fetch! He'll bring me the ball to throw for him, but once he gets it, he won't give it back till I tell him to let go or put it down. Oh, and sometimes, he throws it at the cat. laugh out loud
[notify]
Katsumi

Chop Suey!

Barked: Fri Nov 19, '10 2:10pm PST 
Very shiba! laugh out loud

We enjoy playing catch with Katsumi... though it's kind of loud with the new hardwood floors.... thinking
[notify]
Tikka

This is me- ignoring you!

Barked: Sat Nov 20, '10 10:57am PST 
WTG, Toshi! way to go
[notify]
Tomo

Riding to the- Bridge

Barked: Sat Nov 20, '10 11:42am PST 
Tomo is more of a goalie...he likes to stop the ball or toy and then leaves it. The chase and the stop is his reward...except for floppy duck. Floppy duck requires a catch and return or flipping it in the air himself to try to catch it on the way down. happy dance
[notify]