GO!

Anxiety/Stress?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Wrigley

Do I know you?

Barked: Sat Apr 24, '10 8:32am PST 
Recently Wrigley has been acting different. He did turn 1 last month. A couple of weeks ago he started heavy panting for over an hour, was acting nervous and had intermittent muscle shakes (like when you shiver when your cold). We took him to the vet and they said a possibly upset tummy. We put him on a bland diet. He never had any bathroom issues or no vomiting and seemed to return to normal.

We stopped the bland diet and went back to his regular food which he didn't really eat. Once again he started with the panting and trying to hide in corners. He didn't even want us around him at all. We switched his food and added a soft dog food which he inhaled. Problem solved right?!

Well we also got him a bully stick which he usually tears apart but as of now it has been sitting on our floor for a week without being touched. He used to snack with us on popcorn but now he doesn't want anything to do with it. He also doesn't sleep in his bed downstairs anymore. Not huge issues but still weird.

Last night once again he was panting, shaking and very clingy to us. Like always wanting to lay on top of us. He just seems so different to us and nervous. I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen? I'm calling the vet today to see what our next step should be. Does anyone else have their dog on anxiety medicine and does it sound like that?

Thanks for any advice, I just feel so bad for him frown
[notify]
Tank

i am NOT a- husky!

Barked: Sat Apr 24, '10 10:23am PST 
has anything in his environment changed? was he exposed to anything that scared him?

i recently went out of town for 5 days while hubby stayed home with the pups...i think tank thought i had left forever...he became clingy to the point of annoyance to my husband, and even peed inside the house a few times (which he never does). once i returned he settled down, but only after a couple days until he realized that i wasnt leaving again.
[notify]
Tikka

This is me- ignoring you!

Barked: Sat Apr 24, '10 10:57am PST 
I would collect a fecal and get a blood test just to make sure everything is o.k. It's hard to tell if its behavioral or physical or some type of allergy. You will have to trust your instincts, I think.
[notify]

Ichi(bi)

If I saw it,- it's mine.

Barked: Sat Apr 24, '10 8:08pm PST 
Wait, he only turned a month old and he was snacking on popcorn with you guys? Was the popcorn salted? Corn's not a natural part of a dog's diet so be careful in feeding him that should he be allergic to corn.
[notify]
Ichi(bi)

If I saw it,- it's mine.

Barked: Sat Apr 24, '10 8:36pm PST 
Sorry misread it...he turned 1-year old. However, I still am curious about the popcorn. Is it salted? If it is, could it be considered a possible culprit in the anxiety/stress? Just a thought.
[notify]
Yuuki

Humans are so- hard to train

Barked: Sat Apr 24, '10 8:39pm PST 
Poor Wrigley. Keep a close eye on him and try to figure out if something is triggering these episodes. The more info you can give the vet the better and faster you'll be able to figure out what is going on.

One thought. Are you giving him any kind of antihistamines? An overdose of them could cause similar symptoms.
[notify]
Wrigley

Do I know you?

Barked: Sun Apr 25, '10 7:45am PST 
Thanks for the responses, the biggest change is that my husband went back to work after being home for 3 to 4 months. I should of said that in my information! That's why I have been leaning towards anxiety and stress for Wrigley. We make our popcorn so it is plain but I know he shouldn't even get any, I cant resist that cute face. We also do not give him any antihistamines. On Monday we are going to the vet so we shall see...
[notify]
Tank

i am NOT a- husky!

Barked: Sun Apr 25, '10 8:28am PST 
it could be separation anxiety. i think that was the deal with tank. even though he has calmed down now, if i close him out of the bedroom he paws like crazy at the door. i think he's afraid that i'm gonna leave again...which incidentally, hubby and i are going on a 7day cruise next week...our neighbor is watching the dogs but i'm a little nervous at how tank is going to respond. thinking
[notify]
Maggie

Foxy Lady

Barked: Sun Apr 25, '10 9:10am PST 
Hi Wrigley, I couldn't believe I was reading this posting because our Maggie did the exact same thing last night!

She was acting nervous, pacing around the house panting and all of a sudden just came to the corner of the kitchen near where we were and plopped down on the floor looking sad and scared. She usually does not come to this part of the kitchen while we're eating so we were watching her closely for a few minutes. Then, she started shivering a little so we started to worry and tried to figure out what was wrong. It was almost as if she was coming to us for help.

I thought maybe the two pieces of french fries that I fed her earlier in the day was making her sick. (won't do that again...!) So I took her outside thinking maybe she had to go to the bathroom, and soon enough she was acting like her usual self. She did her business #1 and 2 and came back in the house and it seemed she was feeling a lot better.
I slept by her last night in case she did this again, but she is fine now.

It really scared me and my bf for a bit because we have never seen her like this. She is almost 7 months old and she just got spayed 4 days ago. Did you get any new info from your vet?
[notify]
Henry

Are you gonna- eat that?

Barked: Sun Apr 25, '10 7:33pm PST 
Chad does this often. I think it's probably anxiety, but when I took him to the vet, they did a bunch of tests to rule out more serious stuff.

If you have pet insurance, or are able to pay for it otherwise, you should have him tested for Addison's disease and Myasthenia gravis. It's probably anxiety, but it's good to be sure.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2