GO!

Wet Food & Vitamin C

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hiro

The world is- MINE!!!!!!!!!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 4, '10 8:42am PST 
Hi all~~

So, Hiro has been only eating 1 time a day for a couple weeks now, so last night, I went out and bought him a can of wet food... Wilderness Blue Salmon and Chicken... is this a good kind? I've never bought wet food so I wasn't sure... but it had no by-products and was natural so I got 1 can... I mixed a little of it with his food this morning and he LOVED it! My other question is, how long can I use 1 can for... seems to me like it could last me about 3-4 days... I put it in a tupperware in the fridge...

Also, 2 dogs in my neighborhood has Valley Fever. I looked it up and it mostly affects dogs in the AZ or NM area... the southwest, oh and parts of TX. So, now I'm a little paranoid as the dogs can get this fungal disease by sniffing the ground/dirt. So, I also bought yesterday some Ester-C from Petsmart as they said this was basically vitamin C. So, I am going to start giving a table to Hiro every day, just to build up his immune system.

Do any of you give additional vitamins to your pup?
[notify]
Tsuki, Kit,- Kiba &- Buckley

inubakablog.com

Barked: Thu Mar 4, '10 9:05am PST 
what strength is the vitamin c?

Does he have vitamin C in his dog food already? how much?

I think most sources will say you cannot overdose on Vitamin C, but taking it in excess will cause stomach upset.

By using Ester C, you are also adding calcium to his diet as a supplement.
I think Hiro should be done growing, so its not as big a concern... but worth looking into.

http://www.zooclub.ru/eng/dogs/korm/10.shtml
this site is interesting.

as for the wet food - have you determined that he's not allergic to chicken after all? Its a great brand of food and the ingredients look awesome, except the salt. I don't get the inclusion of salt.
[notify]
Hamlet

Is it a fox?

Barked: Thu Mar 4, '10 1:55pm PST 
Is the purpose of wet food to add a bit more to his diet? I couldn't tell whether he was not eating more than once a day due to disinterest or if you had cut his feedings since he's bigger.

It's a really good brand of wet food and if it's perking up his appetite, that's great. Just be on the look-out for allergies since alot of Western produced canned foods aren't designed with a Shiba's belly in mind.

Something I do with Ham to add some extra nutrish and excitement to his dry kibble meals is occasionally mix in bonito flakes. These are really cheap and you can usually buy them in the ethnic area of the grocery or an Asian shop. Cat areas of pet stores also sometimes have them but they are usually overpriced.

Bonito flakes are basically just flakes of a dried oily fish. It's a basic part of the Japanese broth 'dashi' but dogs and cats both love to eat them straight. They are naturally preserved and require no refrigeration - and since it's a Japanese staple and fish, your Shiba is unlikely to have a negative reaction to it. High in protein, nutrition - and some vets think it's an appetite stimulant.

Be warned -- it has a really strong smell happy dance
[notify]

Faye

Barked: Thu Mar 4, '10 2:02pm PST 
Mom loves bonito flakes. She doesn't like to share. frown
[notify]
Hiro

The world is- MINE!!!!!!!!!!!

Barked: Thu Mar 4, '10 4:26pm PST 
Tsuki~~ we have "x'd" out the fact that Hiro may have allergic reaction to chicken and grains, but we still buy grain-free food to be safe. The Ester C has 250 mg and his food also has vitamin C but doesn't list how much... we feed him Orijen. The weird thing is, he usually eat's twice a day but for awhile now, he's only eating once a day... We also give him Seameal at every meal which has lots of vitamins too... Thanks for the link, I will look at it later tonight!

Hamlet~~ Bonito Flakes... it sounds like something I may use when I cook... I will look at the Asian market when I go next... Koreans and Japanese use a lot of the same things when we cook, but it might be called something else! I may even have it in my cupboards! smile And yes, I am trying to have Hiro eat as he seems to not want to eat these days... frown I know Shiba's are picky eaters, but he really isn't eating his food. And, we were out of his food (original Orijen formula) and so I bought a bag of the Fish Orijen and usually when I do this, he will eat, but this time... no go...
[notify]
Minx

Move over Yuuki,- here I come

Barked: Thu Mar 4, '10 4:31pm PST 
Hiro,
We really wanted to feed Yuuki and Minx the Fish Orijen, but Minx hates it. She will go on a food strike rather than eat it. Yuuki thinks it's great, but not her. Back to the drawing board on finding a common food that both shibas like.
[notify]
Hamlet

Is it a fox?

Barked: Thu Mar 4, '10 4:39pm PST 
Since Hiro is really picky, have you considered doing some homemade food for him? Like rice/protein/vitamin supplement? You can prepare alot at once, like on the weekend, and serve it throughout the week. Sometimes this works for really picky dogs since they feel like they are getting the all important human food.

But yeah...even Ham, who loves to eat, is extremely picky. When I got home tonight, my husband had already fed him - but I noticed that half of his food was left in the bowl and as much as I coaxed him, Ham refused to eat it. Then I noticed that the kibble left in the bowl was mostly the old food (we had mixed in some of the dregs of the old bag when we switched and I guess it all fell to the bottom of our storage bucket)...toss that and put in his new food and he gobbles right away confused
[notify]
Tikka

This is me- ignoring you!

Barked: Thu Mar 4, '10 6:07pm PST 
With vitamin C, just make sure you give the recommended dose for dogs. Dogs do not need vitamin C the way people do as their bodies manufacture it for them. Also, there is more to boosting the immune system than Vit. C. Here is a website that discusses it (just ignore the part about the raw diet).

http://www.doggiesparadise.com/boost-immune-system.shtml

I hope they stay safe from Valley Fever!
[notify]
Tsuki, Kit,- Kiba &- Buckley

inubakablog.com

Barked: Fri Mar 5, '10 5:51am PST 
I meant to add - If he eats once a day and is satisfied, that might be OK - shibas are picky, and eat what they need when they need it.
[notify]
Henry

Are you gonna- eat that?

Barked: Fri Mar 5, '10 6:22am PST 
Both of my guys are grazers. I swear, some days Chad doesn't eat at all. Then, the next day, he's sucking down everything. Hard to predict. They're pretty good at self-regulation, though, so like the last poster said, it may be ok for him to eat only once a day. Just watch his weight. You should be able to feel his ribs but not see them.

My two - especially Chad - get bored with their food quite often, but Henry has so many allergies that it's hard to change their food up like I used to. So, I do the same thing you did, Hiro. I use a little wet food to get it kick-started and add some variety. The thing with wet dog food is that the good brands are mostly meat, so it lasts about like meat does, and you'll know when it's gone bad.

If the wet dog food stops working, try cottage cheese or yogurt or salmon oil. Our dogs are such funny little people!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2