GO!

Scar on Hiro's face.. will hair ever grow?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hiro

The world is- MINE!!!!!!!!!!!

Barked: Sun Nov 29, '09 4:30pm PST 
Remember a few weeks ago when Hiro got bit? Well there is a huge scar that goes from his lip towards his cheek. Well, hair isn't growing back... do you guys think it will? And also b/c it's where when he licks his lips, his tongue touches, it keeps bleeding. Is there anything that I could put on it that is safe to ingest? I was thinking neosporin, but he would just lick it off. OR, should I just let it be? *sigh*
[notify]
Tank

i am NOT a- husky!

Barked: Sun Nov 29, '09 4:55pm PST 
how about bitter apple? it would keep him from licking it, but i guess it might also drive him crazy being so close to his mouth, but i think it'd be worth a try! as far as the scar i have no insight. sorry!
[notify]
Winnie

You obey ME!

Barked: Sun Nov 29, '09 4:56pm PST 
I would just let it be. You can try to put on aloe or Vitamin E, and if it gets ingested, it's not harmful.

I'm not sure how wide the scar is... but, one of our former Shibas got hit by a car and had a 1/4 inch wide scar - it never had hair grow back. She had a thinner scar on her leg - about 1/8 inch wide - hair did eventually grow back.

Did Hiro get stitches?
[notify]

Hiro

Barked: Sun Nov 29, '09 4:59pm PST 
Hiro keeps licking it b/c it's right by his nose and you know how when the dogs are done eating or drinking, they lick their lips? Well the scratch starts there... so he's not really licking it b/c it's there, it's b/c it's "normal" to lick his lips there... sorry if I don't make sense... So, I don't know if bitter apple would do the trick...

I just feel so bad for him... frown
[notify]
Hiro

Barked: Sun Nov 29, '09 5:01pm PST 
Hi Winnie... no Hiro did not get stitches as the vet didn't think he needed them. It looks like the K9 tooth of the other dog bit down and dragged up towards his cheek... and the skin just looks bare and pink there...

My mom doesn't think his hair will grow back... but you gave me hope! smile If i try to take a picture of it, can I post it on here?
[notify]
Winnie

You obey ME!

Barked: Sun Nov 29, '09 5:06pm PST 
Well, I would leave it be - if you want to put something on - you can put on Vitamin E or pure Aloe Vera gel. But, I wouldn't put on Bitter Apple.

Yes - take a picture. You can post it on your Dogster account or give us a link to where you post the picture.
[notify]
Hiro

Barked: Sun Nov 29, '09 5:30pm PST 
Okay, I posted the photo on Hiro's dogster page... Let me know wat you think! Thank you!
[notify]
Koji

Looks like a- fox, walks like- a deer

Barked: Sun Nov 29, '09 10:40pm PST 
I think it should heal on its own, though it may take a little longer since it is a normal licking spot. Not sure if the fur will grow back or not (leaning toward not really) but who knows! Also, maybe try a spray liquid bandage for dogs? Usually they have a bitter taste to them, though not sure how well it'd work since it's just so natural to lick off things from their lips. Might just have to wait it out a little longer.
[notify]
Cortez

I Am Shiba.

Barked: Mon Nov 30, '09 5:39am PST 
It gives him that rugged masculine look.

Both of my shibas have scars from scuffles that never filled with fur.

It makes for great story telling, and proof that in the end, the cat wins.
[notify]
Suki

Unofficial Shiba- Inu Spokesdog

Barked: Mon Nov 30, '09 7:20am PST 
Yes, I'm a bad Shiba mom & both of my pups have been bit at least once!

It's surprising how the hair grows back. You look at this missing hair area and think that will never be better, then one day a few months after the incidents there's hair there!

Suki got bit on the muzzle when she was a puppy by my friend's dog, and it took a good 3 months or so before the hair totally grew back, but now you can't even find it. Maximus has been bit twice, the first one you can't see at all anymore. The 2nd we're still working on the line of missing hair, but I think by Christmas it will probably be gone.

If nothing else it will show the other dogs he's tough! Watch out for Hiro!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2