GO!

Separation anxiety

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Yuki

Barked: Tue Sep 1, '09 8:13am PST 
Yuki whines and barks--today it's been 1.5 hours non-stop. I'm actually still waiting outside until he comes down. Is there any way to remedy this problem? I'm sure the apartment neighbors will say something about it. I attend university at different times during the day, so it's not like Yuki is alone all day. The most I've been away from home is 3 hours (longest class). Please help,
this is tearing me apart, and the last thing I want to do is get angry and do something unreasonable.
[notify]
Augusta

born to pose

Barked: Tue Sep 1, '09 8:28am PST 
Is there the possibility that he hears/smells you waiting outside the door? Is he in a crate? Has he been crate trained?

Other than that, it is time to pull out the big guns - kongs with frozen peanut butter, yogurt or mashed potatoes. TV or radio for some company. Pigs ears. Rescue Remedy. I know others on here will have some great advice, but kongs were what got me through.

3 hours is not too long, so let go of the guilt.
[notify]
Yuki

Barked: Tue Sep 1, '09 8:33am PST 
Haha no guilt, just some subtle rage. Yuki is only crate-trained for long car rides and and when we are about to sleep at night. But recently though, I stopped putting him in it because he's really good in the car (just sitting there) and he sleeps on the floor. I never tried leaving him in the crate the whole day because I know he would be doing the same barking and whining. I guess I will go to Petco and get a gigantic Kong or two.
[notify]

Saki

I'm a licker,- not a biter!

Barked: Tue Sep 1, '09 8:47am PST 
The Kong works wonders!!!! Saki also suffered from seperation anxiery and her trainer told me the key is to keep them busy for the first 30 minutes, after that they adjust to you not being home. That is why the frozen Kong with peanut butter works best, cause it takes them a while to lick it gone!!!! Puzzle toys are also great. The ones where they have to figure out how to get the treats out!
Good luck, let us know how it works
[notify]
Okami

Are you going to- eat that?

Barked: Tue Sep 1, '09 9:23am PST 
If the separation anxiety is severe (i.e. trying to burst out of the window to find you or physically hurting himself due to stress), then I recommend taking him to the vet for some meds. Okami is on Reconcile (prozac for dogs) because he had very severe separation anxiety. It's worked great so far *knock on wood*. Of course, this should be your last resort! smile
[notify]
Kobe

Rain, Rain, Go- Away!

Barked: Tue Sep 1, '09 9:23am PST 
I also got the cd "Through a Dog's Ear."

Its an assortment of classical piano pieces and it really calms the dog down. I used it with Kobe in the mornings when he was crazy and I was not ready for it.

It works wonders.

Bully sticks also help in the occupying way.

My dogs have never really had separation anxiety but just general craziness
[notify]
Max

mine!

Barked: Tue Sep 1, '09 11:26am PST 
Max used to freak out every time I left when I first got him. I started making less of a big deal when I got home and make sure it's a low key arrival. I didn't greet him until he calmed down. I also got a kong, raw-hides, and this blue puzzle ball at PetSmart so he can spend his time doing something positive. He loves trying to get the treats out of the blue ball...I would recommend easy to get out treats at first and then work him up the a bit more complicated treats.
[notify]
Yuki

Barked: Tue Sep 1, '09 12:08pm PST 
I skipped class and went to Petco to get him organic shampoo and bath wipes, lol. And I bought a larger Kong as well! Then I went to the grocery store next door and bought peanut butter and yogurt. party
[notify]
Tetsuya

I'm a snuggly- boy!

Barked: Tue Sep 1, '09 12:15pm PST 
Good luck Yuki. Keep us updated on how you're doing.
[notify]
Loki

Love me!

Barked: Tue Sep 1, '09 1:53pm PST 
From what I gather from your posts, it seems that the separation anxiety is not severe. I'm guessing that you are not coming home to find everything in your house destroyed. Right? So for mild separation anxiety, I think you're on the right track with the kongs. Also toys and other things to keep the dog occupied will help.

Ultimately, though, I think your dog will simply get used to it. The beginning will be the hardest, but eventually they will learn. They learn that you always come back, so they learn to relax. It does take some time. I think with Loki it took only a few days, but with Jujube, it might have taken a couple months. I used to worry a lot about it especially with Jujube, but I sort of think that there will be an inevitable small amount of suffering on the dog's part. Just give it some time. I'm sure it'll be fine with some time.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2