GO!

mouthing / nipping question..

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Artie

the master sock- thief!!!

Barked: Fri Jun 20, '08 3:44pm PST 
ok so..artie is the least aggresive dog ever...he loves kids..always wants to play and is generally super happy, but we are a bit concerned with how much he loves to gnaw and mouth during playing...

the question is should we discipline him when he does this?

also would disciplining him make him afraid to be his playful self?
[notify]
Ronin

I'm a dedicated- napper.

Barked: Fri Jun 20, '08 3:54pm PST 
Thos seems to be fairly common with shibas. I know it's something I really struggled with with Ronin.
Discipline doesn't seem to work very well. If he was biting my ankles or feet and wouldn't let me walk away from him, a spray bottle helped.
Biting my hands during play - The only thing that made any difference was not playing any more once it started. Yelping, pushing back into his mouth, saying "no!", pushing him away....all just seemed to egg him on.
Sometimes shoving a big toy inot his mouth, so he can't get my hand, helps too. wink
[notify]
Kobe

Rain, Rain, Go- Away!

Barked: Fri Jun 20, '08 5:13pm PST 
We have the same problem w/ Kobe.

The yelping and pulling away just makes him mouth more.

We've started to stop playing once he gets mouthy but Kobe seems to mouth when he says hello.

Not sure what we're going to do, but its obviously not agressive.

Good luck Artie...i'm sure you'll work through it!
[notify]

Safari

Betcha I can- distroy that. - 10 seconds!

Barked: Fri Jun 20, '08 9:34pm PST 
I didn't have this problem with Saf or Thunder, but I used to have a golden retriever that had a tendancy to mouth.

When I was playing and she'd grab my hand I would yell in my biggest, centre-of-my-gut, Jekyl and Hyde voice, "HEY". And then (very important) do NOT pull your hand away. If you have to bring in your other hand to "bite" back, fine, but do not move the hand that got bit.

Playing should not resume until you get a submissive reaction. A lick, belly crawl, something.

It took me about 4 days, but it worked very well.

Good luck.
[notify]
Loki

Love me!

Barked: Sat Jun 21, '08 12:58am PST 
Loki was and still is very mouthy when he plays.

Yipping like a hurt playmate only encouraged his bad behavior. Instead, if the nipping was too hard, we would reprimand him with a firm "No" and cease play. This took many months of consistent training. But the good thing now is that he knows how to play with his mouth and be gentle about it.
[notify]