GO!

Shibas as Therapy/Service Dogs?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Takumi

I rock the 'do.

Barked: Mon May 5, '08 11:06pm PST 
I've been spending alot of time on Dogster, and I came across a lady who has a Shiba who helps detect her seizures before they happen. This case really intrigued me. I've heard of other shibas being service dogs or working dogs, but its very rare since they're harder to train on obedience.

I'm not thinking on the extreme side, but what do you guys think of shibas as volunteer dogs that go to children's hospitals to cheer them up? Aka Therapy dogs? Seeing everybody so happy with their dogs, i thought they might make other people happy?

http://www.deltasociety.org/index.htm
[notify]
Ms. Shiba

Attitude comes- in small- packages!

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 5:10am PST 
I am very interested in having Shiba be a therapy dog also. She is really friendly with strangers which is kind of odd for a Shiba. But I don't know if she has the right temperament (aka, willing to lay there for long periods of time and let folks pet her). She gets kind of bored easily unless she's in her cuddely mood, which comes and goes unpredictably.

I have never heard of Shibas being either Therapy or Service dogs so I'm excited that there is someone else out there! I will be following this thread to see what others say! big grin
[notify]
Takumi

I rock the 'do.

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 7:40am PST 
Ms. Shiba: Proof that therapy/service shibas do exist!! There's a yahoo group. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/TherapyShibas/

If you look on my pup pals, you can probably find the shiba who's a seizure service dog.

it's funny, i just read an blogger who insisted that they CANNOT be therapy dogs of any kind.

But you're right, Shibas just dont stay put for long. Most could also care less for children. But maybe that is somethign i can work with early on. I'm going to keep researching on this "therapy shiba" business lol.
[notify]

Suki

Unofficial Shiba- Inu Spokesdog

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 7:52am PST 
Suki and I start our CGC/TDI class next week to get her certificates to do just that. She already visits a local nursing home once a month, and loves it. After we finish the class we will be tested for our certification by a AKC rep.

If you think your dog is up for it, go for it!!!!!!!!!
[notify]
Loki

Love me!

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 7:56am PST 
It definitely depends on the temperament of your dog, Shiba or not. But also I've heard that Shibas mellow out as they age. I heard of this one Shiba owner who had absolutely terrible time raising her Shibas, but after persistent training and around 3-ish years of age, they mellowed out and became therapy dogs. I'm not sure if it was her persistent training or because of age, probably a combination of both. Her story gives me hope that even the worst puppies can turn out to be angels, and not just any angels, but good enough to be terrific therapy dogs.
[notify]
Safari

Betcha I can- distroy that. - 10 seconds!

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 8:09am PST 
They do mellow with age. Saf is almost 10 now, and I think she could be a great therapy dog now.

7 years ago??? Nope. Tooooo bitchy.
[notify]
Yuuki

Humans are so- hard to train

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 8:58am PST 
Snickers does this. You can ask him and his mom about it. So it can be done with the right Shiba and person.
[notify]
Takumi

I rock the 'do.

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 10:13am PST 
i just realized that snickers is the same snickers from that NYC gadget girl's blog! how cool. i'll go paw mail her later.
[notify]
Yuuki

Humans are so- hard to train

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 10:22am PST 
Yep same Snickers. She is also the one that runs NYC Shiba Rescue.
Busy girl.
[notify]
Tia

Im going- swimming, yay

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 3:57pm PST 
Tia would make a great nursing home dog ect.... she loves to be petted and will sit forever if you just pet her,lol, I might look into taking her to a nursing home, great idea, I used to take my cocker spaniel to a nursing home and she loved the attention way to go and the folks just loved petting her ect..... Tia and I might have a new thing
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2