GO!

Shiba Owners Recommendations

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 29: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  
Suki

Unofficial Shiba- Inu Spokesdog

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 11:32am PST 
I was out on a walk with Suki and thinking about how helpful this forum has been to us. I started thinking that we should generate a thread of the most helpful Shiba tips we could pass on to new owners. This way when ever a newbie comes around we can bump this thread for them. I can't wait to see what all of you have to say, I'm sure it will be helpful for those to come way to go

Make sure to give a little tidbit appropriate to your suggestion about yourself, and your shiba. This way whomever is reading can have all the information needed. Like if your Shiba is a mix, this is your first Shiba, you've had 27 Shibas, you breed Shibas, you got your pup as a puppy, or as an adult... get the idea?? Make sure to stop me if this doesn't make sense.
[notify]
Suki

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 11:35am PST 
Suki is 6 Months, my first Shiba Inu.

Since we just finished Suki's spay I'll start there. Make sure to get the cone for their head, they will need it. As soon as Suki came out of the back of the vets office, she was immediately licking. Most vets do not require it you get the cone, but most Shibas will need it.

Get tons of bones to keep them calm after their surgery too, they will want to rip and tear almost as soon as they get home.

Borrow an X-Pen if you have access to one. With the cone head, they won't be able to turn around in their crate. We started Suki out in our powder room, but she got bored (because we had to keep her calm in there for so long) and chewed the door molding & drywall.

Edited by author Mon Jan 7, '08 11:37am PST

[notify]
Suki

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 11:43am PST 
Socialize socialize socialize socialize socialize!

Get your pup around every sight sound smell dog cat rabbit they will encounter, and keep it going! Suki loves dogs, kids, people, cats, well pretty much everything! I think this is mainly because we exposed her to every possible dog and person she will one day meet. Suki even loves the garbage men, because they all gave her treats when she was young.
[notify]

Sarah- Smartypants

But I don WANT- to go back to- school!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 11:44am PST 
When choosing a new kibble, purchase small bags. Shibas are notoriously picky eaters and I can't tell you how many large bags of kibble I've thrown out or given away!
[notify]
Sarah- Smartypants

But I don WANT- to go back to- school!

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 12:00pm PST 
And i agree with Suki. SOCIALIZE!. we got Sarah from a shelter at age 4-6 and she was never properly socialized, and we've had some real problems with other dogs and small kids.
[notify]
Janie

Sleep now, take- over the world- later

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 12:04pm PST 
Shibas and water don't mix. Every once in a while someone says they've spotted a swimming shiba, but generally that's filed into the same place that the lochness monster sitings are filed.

Janie is 7 months old and she hates baths. Going into a pool won't happen. But, unlike most shibas, she doesn't really mind the rain too much. Somewhere on this forum someone said their shiba didn't go out to do their business for 3 days because it was raining shock

Edited by author Mon Jan 7, '08 12:12pm PST

[notify]
Augusta

born to pose

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 3:24pm PST 
Expose your shiba to noises as soon as possible. You can totally tell the difference between Auggie (had her since 8 weeks old) & Phog (puppy mill rescue at 7 months).

When Auggie was little, we would leave the small tv or radio on...she does pretty well with unexpected noises. Phog jumps when there is any noise. (Of course they both go crazy at stupid pizza delivery commercials when the door bells ring.....)
[notify]
Henry

Are you gonna- eat that?

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 4:18pm PST 
Sarah - you're SO right about the kibble! And, just because they liked one small bag doesn't mean they will like it when you bring home a great big bag. In fact, I can virtually guarantee that they won't. smile

Henry is my first Shiba - I got him about 8 months ago from his first owner. He was about 1 1/2 years at the time. He's also my first indoor dog, but I grew up on a farm with working, outdoor dogs.

The main thing I learned quickly is that you have to have to have to convince the Shiba that YOU are in charge. If you don't, they will OWN you. And, it's not as easy as sh-sh-ing them like the Dog Whisperer. For Henry, I had to use control of his food (and mine) to convince him I'm the leader. Now he's a perfect angel. Riiiiight. Okay, so that's a big fat lie, but he's definitely better.

Edited by author Mon Jan 7, '08 4:19pm PST

[notify]
Ronin

I'm a dedicated- napper.

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 4:41pm PST 
Ronin is my first shiba and he will be 7 months old in a few days.

If there is anything I would really liked to have known when I was researching shibas, before buying one......
All of the profiles I have read were completely wrong about one thing, and omitted another:
- Shibas do NOT come potty trained. Still struggling with that with Ronin, and just about any dog is usually reliably house broken by 6 months.
- Shibas can be very destructive. Not just your favorite shoes. Carpets, mouldings, furniture.....

I don't want to discourage people. I love Ronin, and don't have any regrets, but I hate to see shibas wind up in rescues or shelters so....caveat emptor.
[notify]
Suri

Barked: Mon Jan 7, '08 6:42pm PST 
Oh this is such a great thread... keep them coming!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 29: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]