GO!

How did you choose your shiba's name?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  
Tetsuya

I'm a snuggly- boy!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '07 2:05pm PST 
I'd love to hear about why you chose the name you did for your shiba and how you picked it. Also, does the name have any special significance? I researched Japanese names online before choosing Tetsuya. Both my husband and I liked the name. I also liked that I could shorten it for a nickname to Tetsu and the fact that that in itself was still a Japanese name. His name means "become iron." It sure fits him - he can be pretty hard headed at times. LOL.
[notify]
Henry

Are you gonna- eat that?

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '07 4:08pm PST 
I love the meaning of your name, Tetsuya!

When I got Henry his name was Hines (Eagles football player - don't ask). My friend commented, "He's a cool dog. He needs a cool dog name." Something about Henry just seemed right, and it started with an "H" so I thought he would get used to it faster than Charlie, which was my other choice.

That's the whole boring story. Sometimes, though, I tell people he's named after Patrick Henry (give me liberty or give me death) b/c I work at the constitution center. THIS is a far more interesting, but wholly untrue, naming story. smile
[notify]
Ronin

I'm a dedicated- napper.

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '07 4:10pm PST 
I was looking for a Japanese name for Ronin & was thinking about Kitsune (fox) but I saw a lot of shibas online who had that name already.
I decided I wanted something similar to samurai, but not Samurai...I like Katana, but it's too girly.
A ronin is a masterless samurai.
[notify]

Tikka

This is me- ignoring you!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '07 7:30pm PST 
That's cool, Ronin~!

I'm terrible and so uncreative with names. I just wanted to name her Shiba. But the vet tech chastised me, so my hubby got the honors. He is great with names. Tikka is named after a very expensive, high-end shotgun that he would LOVE to own (costing more than her own MSRP). I think it was a not-so-subtle hint...quid pro quo. wink
[notify]
Tetsuya

I'm a snuggly- boy!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '07 7:54pm PST 
I love hearing all these name stories. smile
[notify]
Loki

Love me!

Barked: Thu Dec 6, '07 10:59pm PST 
Loki is named after the Norse God (or Giant) of fire & mischief. We figured that was a fitting name after reading and researching about Shibas.

Another reason we chose the name is because it was the only name my husband & I could agree on.
[notify]
Mitsu

Is this- annoying? How- about this...?

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '07 4:03am PST 
Mitsu means shine or star in Japanese I think. Mitsu is female, so we sometimes call her "Mitsu-bitchy" (like the car, geddit?). laugh out loud
[notify]
Yuuki

Humans are so- hard to train

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '07 4:32am PST 
Yuuki means courage in Japanese. Although for the past few days I have been wanting to change it to Yuki (snow) . I love SNOW!
[notify]
The Keeks- (2005-2013)

Shaking it (not- breaking it)- since 2005!

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '07 11:15am PST 
Kiku is has the full and ridiculous name of "Kikujiro" after a Japanese movie that we love. We had planned to really call her "Kiku", which is the imperial flower of Japan - the chrysanthemum.

After living with her for awhile, we started calling her "The Keeks" because her personality varies between strangely serious to super goofy – and that name just fits!
[notify]
Augusta

born to pose

Barked: Fri Dec 7, '07 11:33am PST 
I love these posts! Auggie was named after Augusta National Golf Course, where The Masters is played. We got her on Masters weekend, on the day Phil Mickelson won! (I wanted a dog, my husband wants an Augusta membership....we do what we can.)

Phog Allen is named over the legendary University of Kansas basketball coach who learned to play the game under Coach Naismith, the inventor of the game (also went to KU). KU's basketball court is housed in Allen Fieldhouse, where they say Phog Allen's spirit still haunts it. There are signs all over that say "Beware of the Phog." I got one for our yard!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13