GO!

How did you come up with your Sheltie's name?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Sophie

Little Miss- Sunshine

Barked: Wed Dec 9, '09 12:58pm PST 
Now the Soph, she came to us at 15 months old, from a breeder who called her Saffi. So it seem to us that another human name was appropriate, and she would'nt have any problem catching on to that name. dancing
[notify]
Mojo

Where\'s the- jumps?

Barked: Fri Dec 18, '09 9:24am PST 
"Mojo" came to us with his name and it suits him well...he's full of spunk! Reg name is Dury Voe Voodoo Magic.

"Luna" means moon in spanish and we wanted something to go along with her dad's name (Selkirk San Marco). I originally got the idea to have a puppy named Luna from Luna Lovegood in the Harry Potter books. Reg name is "Misty Mt Blue Moon"

"Ardie" got his name because when he was a puppy he looked like an Aardvark.

"Sierra" came to us with her name.

"Jenny" was also already named.

"Cody" was named by his breeder and we really liked the name as well. He kind of looks like a furry bear so we named him "Triple H Mid Knight Kodiak Bear".

"Sera" was orignally named Sierra, but we already had a Sierra so we just shortened it.

"Bindi" was already named, but I think it suits her well.

"Stormy" got her name because well, she kind of looks like a storm with the sable-merling she has. She has 1 eye that's half blue and half brown, so we named her "Misty Mt Eye of the Storm".

"Panda" got her name because her markings made her look like a panda bear...especially as a puppy.

"Sadie" is one I don't have a profile for. She stayed with my parents after I moved. I had her name picked out before I got her, just because I liked it. Her whole litter was named based of Alcohols, so her registered name is "Triple H Kahlua Shooter" The "Shooter" part is because her breeder said when she was born, she kind of just "shot" right out.

"Alice" is our newest puppy who we haven't posted yet...I got her name from Alice Cullen in the Twilight books.
[notify]
Chewbacca- (Bacca)

Barked: Tue Dec 22, '09 4:15pm PST 
Well, my teenage son named Chewbacca. It seemed like a totally silly name to me, but because we'd just lost our forever pup, Timber, and he was ambivalent about getting a new Sheltie, I gave this to him.

Well at first his nickname, Chewie, totally fit, because as a baby he chewed everything. But the second part of his name started fitting more and more - Bacca - this is a derivative of the Greek God of Wine - Bacchus - and is refers to "a state of frenzy"....well, we've all experienced Sheltie "zoomies". Just seemed to fit. So Bacca he is!
[notify]

Firefly

Lighting up my- mom's heart....

Barked: Wed Dec 30, '09 3:19pm PST 
I came up with Firefly's name by naming her after a song I like. It was Nickelback's "If Everyone Cared" and it mentioned fireflies, and I was like "Awhh, I can just imagine how beautiful fireflies at sunset are." So on the way to get her from the breeder, I heard the song and stuck firmly to 'Firefly'.

Plus, my family also has a tendency to name their animals after insects, BOL. Firefly is my Sheltie, and Ladybug is my mom's Chihuahua, and Honeybee was my mom's pug before she passed onto the bridge...

But the next Sheltie I plan to get will probably be called Kalen.
[notify]
Smurf-CD,- RA, CGC, TDI

Barked: Fri Jan 1, '10 6:59pm PST 
Hella Bella got her name bc she is a bit of a nut!!!
Smurf came with his name and he is blue. He really is a very serious dog and Smurf would not have been my first choice.
[notify]
Shadow

Throw the ball

Barked: Fri Jan 15, '10 10:04am PST 
I did not like the name the wife wanted for our first Sheltie. After we had her for a couple days I said to myself 'she sure is cute as a button'. So I named her Buttons. About a year later we decided to get another Sheltie, the breeder brought her to our house. While talking we asked what will we name her, what would go with Buttons. The breeder was only kidding, but we said 'that's perfect' when he suggested Bows. So we had Buttons & Bows. All the rest came from rescues so they kept their original names.
[notify]
Tango

Run Fast - Bark Loud

Barked: Thu Jun 14, '12 6:18pm PST 
I am a musician, and so far all of my shelties have had music names. I don't know what led me to the idea that I wanted my next dog to have a Latin dance name, but I registered my current sheltie as Plails Fascinating Rhythm and I call him Tango.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Aug 21, '12 3:02am PST 
As I held our new Sheltie puppy in my hands and she was so quiet, beautiful and sweet I told my husband she looked like a "little princess". "Princess Leia" my husband responded, and there you have it. Leia for short.
[notify]
Little Lad

Ran away a year- ago.

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '13 4:13pm PST 
Little Lad- well, actually his sister "Gennie" Looks more like Lassie I'm told, but I wanted to name my dog after Lassie smile (hence "little lad" instead of "Little lass")

Edited by author Tue Jan 15, '13 4:15pm PST

[notify]
Chula Wula- D'Augue

Have Mom, will- Travel.

Barked: Wed Mar 13, '13 12:05pm PST 
Chula means "pretty" in Spanish and when we first met Chula, that was our response to seeing her. Since Chula-y would have been hard to call her, we liked the rhyme Chula Wula. She's a Dog, and since we're fascinated by France, we decided her last name should be a foreign looking way of saying that, so she ended up as Chula Wula D'Augue.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2