GO!

Are there many rescues that would allow you to foster with an intact dog in the home?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Calamity- Jane

Barked: Mon Apr 28, '14 1:40pm PST 
Though it's not going to be for a while, I want to know, because I don't want to give up rescuing when I have my show dog.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Apr 28, '14 2:21pm PST 
None in my area.
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Mon Apr 28, '14 3:44pm PST 
I'm guessing you'd probably have to go through breed specific rescues to do that- and probably for the breed that you are interested in fostering.
[notify]

Milo

My love is worth- your time

Barked: Mon Apr 28, '14 4:32pm PST 
Most breed specific rescues will foster and even adopt to someone with intact dogs so long as they are actively showing the dog or have a valid medical reason for the dog to be intact.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Mon Apr 28, '14 5:11pm PST 
Well, breed-specific is okay. I have volunteered for a couple of breed-specific rescues in my area though, and they are vehemently anti-breeder frown. I guess I could check the national clubs thinking.
[notify]
Milo

Barked: Mon Apr 28, '14 5:40pm PST 
Milo is from a breed specific (dachshund) rescue and was in a foster home with 2 intact females who were being shown. One of my friends also fosters for a different breed specific (Bernese mountain dogs) rescue and she has 5 intact (4 females and a male) who she shows. I know there are ones out there who are fine with it, most are national rescues or ones through the breed club.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Tue Apr 29, '14 10:35am PST 
Thanks Milo! I'd like to foster for the Border Collie rescue (though this won't be until after I've gone to college, and possibly graduate school as well if I decide to go that route). I found two in Texas currently that were linked by the national breed club. But, I'd like to get a Dalmatian as my show dog. I just hope that I'll be able to get a decent place to live that I can have such high energy dogs...I was thinking about staying in Lubbock, but I think that Dallas is really more dog friendly thinking. Either way, not going to be for a while, so I guess it doesn't matter that much right now smile.
[notify]
Calamity- Jane

Barked: Tue Apr 29, '14 11:40am PST 
You know what's awesome? I found TWO Border Collie rescues in Texas that support responsible breeding! big grin I talked with one of them about volunteering (can't foster right now, but will after I'm through with college) and I mentioned that I would possibly be getting a show dog as well, and asked how they felt about that. They said that, obviously, they'd be careful about who they placed with me, but that it would otherwise be ok!
[notify]
Milo

Barked: Tue Apr 29, '14 4:27pm PST 
Glad you found two that are willing to work with you and your future show dog
[notify]