GO!

PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR INPUT!

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
♥ Mya- ♥

Born to Retrieve

Barked: Sat Apr 12, '14 11:27am PST 
Last June my family and I had to move out of state for my Dad's work and we were not able to bring Mya with us because of our landlord. Well we are going to buy a house this summer and would be perfectly able to get mya back except for the person renting our house believes that she is myas owner now even though we never agreed to that. They are refusing to give her back and has blocked me on facebook and the whole works. She believes she is entitled to Mya because she has spent the last 8 months with her. But we raised her from a puppy and had 5 happy years with her. And I think about her everyday and it just moves me to the point of tears that she wont give her back. I really would like to send her a letter politely explaining my feelings because I really miss Mya and this year has been a hard one. Am I wrong? Should I just let Mya go because I am not sure I can do that shrug Im just heartbroken... we finally are in a situation to get her back and now we might not be able to. cry Any and all advice is extremely appreciated crycrycrycry
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sat Apr 12, '14 6:25pm PST 
Unfortunately, there's a saying, "possession is 9/10ths of the law". If there was nothing in writing agreeing to the arrangement, then the law would probably say that the dog belongs to her since she has been living with her for the last 8 months. Good Luck!
[notify]
♥ Mya- ♥

Born to Retrieve

Barked: Sun Apr 13, '14 8:05am PST 
I didn't know that, thank you so much for your help
[notify]

Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '14 9:20am PST 
When they agreed to take care of Mya, did you have a verbal agreement that you would get her back when you got a new house? Did you pay for her food and vet care while for the last 8 months?

I would think that if you had a verbal agreement and could prove you had paid for her care and feeding, you might have a chance of getting her back.

If the person she is with has been paying for her care and feeding for the last 8 months and you have nothing in writing, I think it is doubtful you could make her give Mya back.

Another thing to consider is that after 8 months, Mya may think she belongs to the person she is living with. In a situation like this, it is important to look at what the best interest of the dog might be and not just at what you want.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '14 4:16pm PST 
I know it's totally unethical but I would dognap Mya back...but that's just me. Best of luck and thoughts are with youmeditate
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '14 8:50pm PST 
I actually had the opposite experience several years ago when we took in my ex piano teacher's cats. She and her husband were supposed to move to China, but unfortunately something happened and they changed their plans at the last minute. Before they were supposed to leave, they gave us their cats and said we could keep them. We had them for 2 months, and once they changed their plans they called my mom and demanded the cats back, knowing that the cats were happy with us. My mom tried to explain that to them, but they were just not having it. In the end my parents caved and gave them the cats back. This couple had lost their only son to a swimming accident a few years prior, so we tried to have some sympathy, but it was upsetting nonetheless. frown
[notify]
Fritz

Barked: Tue Apr 15, '14 4:16pm PST 
Ophelia stealing Mya could be a very bad idea. Unless she is being left outside alone or is allowed to wonder off of the property, one could be arrested for breaking and interning.

Also if her new family honestly thinks she belongs to them and they have her chipped and can legally prove ownership, one could still be in a lot of trouble even if she was found off of the property.

However; if she were to disappear one day while out wondering the neighborhood, who would know what had happened to her?.....

.....umm, if she did disappear, I wouldn't talk about it online, I would get her chipped or maybe get CKC papers to prove ownership and I would come up with a good story about where I got my new dog……(One could still get in trouble and I am not advocating stealing her back but well............if she were in a bad place, being abused, or mistreated……..)
[notify]
♥ Mya- ♥

Born to Retrieve

Barked: Wed Apr 16, '14 1:05pm PST 
I absolutely know she would be happy with us, our new house has a pool and Mya looooooves water. We are financially sound, plus she would be reunited with the dog she grew up with(daisy). Our new house is a fairly good size with a fenced in backyard. It's not like they don't have their own dog, they moved into our house with a little dog of their own. I don't think Mya would not remember us as my dad had to move a year before we did and when he came to visit she was all over him like he'd never left. Plus there are a lot of dog parks where I live now and it just makes me so sad because that's my baby you know?cry
[notify]
Fritz

Barked: Wed Apr 16, '14 4:44pm PST 
Have you tried going and talking to the people face to face? Explaining how you feel and maybe offering to reimburse them for all of the months they have kept her?

Did you pay for her upkeep already; did you have an oral agreement? Honestly, I know you love her but if someone gave me a dog or even asked me to look after it for a while and then went away for months, I would most likely be very unwilling to just turn the dog over when the former owners came back.

I am sure she would be happy at your house. The question is if she is happy where she is now; if she is being treated well and did you make any arrangement to get her back when you left her?

If you didn’t make any kind of agreement to get her back and didn’t pay for her care, you probably have no right to get her back. If her new people love her and are taking good care of her, I wouldn’t even try. If she is in a good loving home, taking her away is in your best interest, not hers.
[notify]
♥ Mya- ♥

Born to Retrieve

Barked: Wed Apr 16, '14 9:53pm PST 
Fritz, I want to thank you so much for all of your help, you are so rational and honest and I appreciate it so much. The original plan was that Mya was to stay with my sister until we bought a house and could move her out here. Unfortunately for me, there was not a lot of communication regarding the subject. And as far as I know we have not been paying for her upkeep. But when we told the tenant that we would be putting the house on the market slightly sooner than expected she posted on fb about how she had to find homes for all of the animals except for her original dog ( we gave her our rabbits as well but they are clearly hers, no miscommunications on that one). I cannot explain the matter in person to her because we moved to the opposite side of the country. I know I am probably completely in the wrong here, after all I failed to communicate and have not been paying for upkeep and I sound completely selfish whining like " I want my doggie back I'm so sad " . The thing is that the tenant was a family friend and it never occurred to me that she would refuse to give her back. Also please believe me when I say that I have myas best interest at heart, if they can find a place that will allow a dog as large as Mya it will most likely be smaller, plus they tend to move a lot. I suppose all I can do now is explain how I feel and most definitely offer to reimburse them. Thank you again so much for all of your help and I apologize for acting like a selfish moron.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2