GO!

Stray Dog in the yard. Dont wanna call AC cause it will be put down how do I help it?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Hailie

Hey leave my- family ALONE!

Barked: Tue Dec 31, '13 11:32pm PST 
He looks pure shepherd to me, and we live too far in town for Phantom to be a coyote. I doubt he will be back today though after our house was broken into while my husband and I were out having a rare date night. I did leave a very tasty treat out for him though. I cooked up some meat that had been in the fridge for a couple weeks. I mixed it with a small leftover slice of pizza and some kibble so he might come back. I saw him this morning right outside the kennel run where Tank and Bella go when we let them out during the day. He looked like he had just come out from getting a drink in the garage. I just hope he knows I am trying to help.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 7:44am PST 
I'm sure he knows, or he wouldn't have come back. applause
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 4:16pm PST 
I'm so sorry your house was broken into. It sounds like u are making progress. I think going into the garage is a good sign.
[notify]

Pepper

Got food? I- can be bought ya- know....

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 7:10pm PST 
I don't know how the weather is in your area, we got 9 degrees and snow in CT. Providing a shelter from cold and wet with the food and water are a good way to keep the dog coming back.

Live traps are possible, but tricky. Some dogs are too smart to go into a tiny space, even if they are very hungry.
I got an email from a guy who has experience trapping the un-trappable dogs. He suggested gradually putting a coral together ( with smaller openings a dog can't squeeze through). He used a large space between 2 buildings, closing most of both ends so the dog never felt trapped. Get the dog used to your scent and food. On Trap day, completely close off the end of the coal the dog doesn't use much. Once he goes in, close the other end also. Then let the dog relax with food, water and shelter before trying to interact.
He was dealing with Kuvasz, which is similar to Great Pyrenees. Smart, herding, guarding breed as the GSD is.
I hope you can bring him in.
[notify]
Hailie

Barked: Fri Jan 3, '14 10:21am PST 
Havent seen Phantom since the break in a few nights ago. I think he got pretty spooked by the person who broke in. I cant say I blame him I am pretty shook up too. My thought has been since it happened "what if we had been home?" As for the temps its in the 30's here in southern Indiana with temps expected to hit -10 over the weekend. I only hope that Phantom is ok.
[notify]
Hailie

Barked: Sun Jan 12, '14 6:56pm PST 
Saw Phantom today. He looks better a little heavier but still really shy. I could only get half way across the yard before I saw what he was doing. The neighbors behind us have chickens IN TOWN. one of the chickens escaped the yard and was scratching and pecking the ground outside the fenced in yard. The neighbors with the chickens have a 5 foot high unroofed chain link fence around their yard. Its not secure enough for coyotes or foxes or any other animal to not be able to get in to get the chickens or to keep the chickens in and safe. Anyway I watched Phantom the stray catch and kill this chicken then trot off across several yards with the chicken in his jaws. He is definitely GSD but he looks like a badly bred American GSD. I have a feeling that Hailie will get blamed for the chicken getting killed and carried off because she is one of the few GSDs in our area. I have proof that she wasnt the one who killed the chicken though because she was in her kennel and was eating out of her feeder at the time. I know because I had just filled her feeder up two minutes before.
[notify]
Kali

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Jan 17, '14 5:28pm PST 
I wonder if you can trap him?
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2