GO!

Stray Dog in the yard. Dont wanna call AC cause it will be put down how do I help it?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hailie

Hey leave my- family ALONE!

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 5:05pm PST 
There has been a stray dog roaming around our yard since it started getting cold. My hubby saw it this morning and said its either a young GSD or Belgain Mal. He said now he knows where the spilled dog food has been going at night after we feed the dogs. He tried to get close to it today but it ran from him. I would like to try and help it because I would hate to see it get hit or shot. There has been some one shooting off a gun at night somewhere in the area. I also know that the shelter in our town is a kill shelter and would put this poor dog down. The hubby said its really skinny like Hailie was when we got her. A friend suggested getting a live trap and baiting it with a bowl of wet food. I thought about keeping food down for it and just slowly moving the food bowl closer to the door. Maybe I can make friends with the poor thing. First thing after that would be to get it to my vet for a check up and shots. First though is gaining its trust. How do I help this poor dog?
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 5:42pm PST 
Putting food down is a good idea. Then u could move it towards the door. If u see him out try using high value treats(like ham or turkey or something) and see if it will get close to u. If he seems interested maybe u can get him inside with the treat.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 8:13pm PST 
Follow Sandy's advice and then if you can even care for it for a few weeks...put ads up online or in local businesses, PetFinder still takes personal ads I think...a rescue group with the breed it looks closest to perhaps?
[notify]

Hailie

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 11:29pm PST 
I want to ad that I want to make sure this pup gets fattened up before we try to find a new home for it. Hailie was lucky if she was 20 pounds when she showed up in the yard. Last time she got weighed she was 65 pounds and that was when she was spayed. I want to fatten this guy up like we did Hailie. I just dont feel comfortable sending him to a rescue till he is healthy.
[notify]
Dylan aka- Dilly

frisbee- s rule

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 4:28am PST 
food. and water. a warm place to sleep.becarefull dont make him feel trapped.

good luck
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 5:06pm PST 
bump
[notify]
Tesla-Troope- r

Overly happy,- spastic, loving- girl

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 5:35pm PST 
My boyfriends Mom did that a long time ago. She just kept slowly moving the food closer to the house. But be careful other animals will more than likely be attracted to it to. It took her close to a month to become friends with him though. But it was very rewarding and she had a wonderful dog for 10 years!
[notify]
Hailie

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 11:08pm PST 
I am gonna leave something really yummy for him tonight before I go to bed. The only place he could go to get warm is in the fenced in run we have up for Tank and Bella and its attached to the side of the garage where the door is open. We leave the gate open when we bring the dogs in at night. We are calling him or her Phantom for now.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Tue Dec 31, '13 4:24am PST 
Please keep us posted. It's great what your doing. way to go
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue Dec 31, '13 11:36am PST 
No chance it's a coyote? They will do exactly what you're describing, hanging around, stealing scraps, avoiding people and only showing up in bad weather. And they look an awful lot like skinny Shepherd dogs.

Even if it's a coy-dog, it may be in his best interest to leave him alone and let him do his own thing. Coy-dogs are frequently more feral than domestic.

If you're sure a domestic dog and willing to put the time in, feeding and bringing him closer to the house will help. Make yourselves present in the yard, so he's getting used to you as well as the house.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2