GO!

PLEASE HELP! Dog in Custody at Risk for Euthanization**

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Beasley

I'm the Bee's- Knees!

Barked: Thu Sep 12, '13 5:47pm PST 
A friend forwarded this email to me today:

Hi there,

By all accounts the dog's owner is a truly terrible dog owner, has treated the animal horribly, and encouraged its aggressive behavior. This case is the second documented incident where the dog has bitten a person, however, on both this occasion and the last, the dog bit a person after his owner started attacking someone.

The dog has been "in the custody" of Animal Control in San Francisco since August 24th. The owner is not going to be getting out of custody, is a registered sex offender, and does not have a valid license to own a dog (apparently as a sex offender/felon there are certain requirements). Because of the two documented bite incidents animal control is telling me that they are now going to euthanize the dog -- soon. They had planned on doing it TODAY, but I asked them to hold off at least for a day so that I could try to figure out something.

Below are three pictures of the dog. His name is Smoke. He is 110 lbs I would imagine that if I could tell Animal Control that there was somewhere we could bring him, they may be amenable to NOT euthanizing him.

I have never dealt with this sort of situation before, and would love any help you can give.

Photo of Smoke 1

Photo of Smoke 2

Photo of Smoke 3

Dogsters, do you have any ideas about how to help Smoke? PAWLEASE post here, email me at lori@dogster.com, and share with your Groups, and social networks!
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Sep 12, '13 6:46pm PST 
I'm sorry, but it's not likely anyone would take a large dog like that, that is aggressive. You could call Best Friend's in Utah. Although, I know they have a long waiting list. Info is below.

Best Friends Animal Society
5001 Angel Canyon Road
Kanab, Utah 84741-5000
Phone: (435) 644-2001
Email: info@bestfriends.org
[notify]
Beasley

I'm the Bee's- Knees!

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 10:34am PST 
Thanks Kali, appreciate the suggestion!smile

Beasley

I'm the Bee's- Knees!

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 11:09am PST 
Thanks Kali, appreciate the suggestion!smile
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Fri Sep 13, '13 4:55pm PST 
No Problem. smile
[notify]
Yoshi

XD

Barked: Sat Sep 14, '13 6:34pm PST 
Eeekkk! Sex offenders are allowed to own dogs at all? Really? Why isn't Smoke's owner in prison? confused
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Sun Sep 15, '13 10:49pm PST 
Yoshi: Sadly, sex offenders are given a LOT of leeway compared to people who commit other crimes. When my grandfather was convicted of molesting two little girls he got house arrest, but when he got a DUI years later he went to jail. It seems so unfair.
[notify]