GO!

Just in Case Fostering

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 8:59pm PST 
I'm posting this on several sites. I'm looking for feedback about fostering resources. My husband has become disabled. He's trying very hard to rehabilitate himself-back, hip, knee problems aggravated by his age and weight. His jobs demand being able to lift and walk. I'm trying to plan worst case scenario.

We live in an area with incredible taxes. Even if I have four jobs they won't equal his income. If we have to relocate is the problem...I'm thinking of temporary foster care for the dogs possibly. Maybe we wouldn't need it either. Both Callie and Sophie are good sized dogs. Where would I begin to look for backup care if we would need it until we get resettled????
[notify]
Bauer

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 8:05am PST 
A local rescue group might be able to arrange a temporary foster for your dogs if needed. I work with the Humane Society for my county and while we primarily pull shelter dogs to foster for adoption, we occasionally arrange foster homes for folks who can't afford boarding during a hospitalization, or during other tough times.
We are able to do this because we have volunteers who are happy to take in an animal, but they aren't able to commit to all the extra work that fostering a shelter pull entails - repeated trips to the vet for vaccines and treatment, housetraining and behavioral issues, taking the dog to adoption events each weekend. Rescue fostering is a LOT of work, but petsitting for a few months is less involved.
It might be worth checking with a few groups in your area to see if they can help.
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 8:44am PST 
I'll look into that, I know there's a whole network that does fostering. The challenge would be Callie. For someone who understands and is comfortable with bullies he's a waggy lovable mushball. For people not familiar with bull dogs they see Herman Munster.
[notify]

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 9:19am PST 
I don't know of any group in my area that offers this type of care. I wish we did but I do see legal issues if the owner were to not return after the set amount of time and the group were to adopt the dog out and then the owner returned.

If a rescue in your area does offer this I wouldn't be worried about what your dog looks like because I'm sure potential fosters will meet the dogs before hand (I know I would) and they'll see what he's like. Most groups have people that specialize in breeds (I get sent the poodles, another woman gets the boxers etc).

You could also see if any friends or family were willing to help. When I was a kid our first dog was actually the dog of a family friend that did a teaching exchange in England. We had their dog for a year while they were away. We lived in the same small town so everytime after that if they left the gate open or etc she'd run over to our house to visit.
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 5:25pm PST 
I know some people who know people who are bully positive. I just have to reach out to the right person. Callie looks like Herman Munster and Sophie is afraid of her own shadow. I need to find that special foster who sees them the way I do...Mama's babies
[notify]