GO!

Helping friends look to find dogs Alaskan Klee Kai and Newfoundland

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Aurora- Borealis

Fluffy leader

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 2:05pm PST 
Hello,

I am trying to help some friends of mine look dogs that are looking into to becoming dog parents! I'm hoping to find shelter and/or rescue pups/dogs! I'll start with my first friend.

My first friend is looking for an Alaskan Klee Kai(Yes, I helped them do the research on these dogs first!) roughly 1-2 years old in the lower peninsula of Michigan, preferably house broken. Will be at least a month before she can get hers.

My other friend is looking for a Newfoundland(mix is ok as long as it still looks more newfie like and not a high-energy breed) and would prefer a puppy, and she didn't say it but I think she wants boy! Near Seattle, WA. I'm not sure exactly when she can get hers but I know before August is over.

So if you know of any shelters or dogs in these areas that might be a good fit for the description please let me know and I'll pass it along. :=)
[notify]
Misha- (R.I.P.- 4/29/13)

Play or hide?! I- dunno... @_@

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 4:29pm PST 
Gonna have a real tough time finding an AKK adult or rescue.

http://www.akkrescue.com/ occasionally has rescues, but they don't come up that often. Most people with AKK have gotten them from breeders as puppies, since they're kind of a rare breed. Your best bet is to look for breeders with older dogs available on their website, but it's unlikely that they'll be as young as 1-2 years. We got Misha at 8 months because our breeder just happened to get a new red AKK pup and no longer needed Misha for breeding purposes (still paid a decent amount though).
[notify]
Nicky

bitches love- pantaloons

Barked: Thu Jun 20, '13 12:54pm PST 
They're going to have a difficult time finding what they want in rescue if they want younger dogs and especially puppies. These breeds aren't available often as adults let alone young dogs and puppies. When they do there is such a high demand for them that they will probably already be adopted by the time your friends send an application in. Just trying to be honest, and in no way am I trying to discourage them from adopting. Try the national breed clubs, they usually have rescue resources on the websites as well as reputable breeders if they would like a retired breeder or older rehome as Misha suggested

Edited by author Thu Jun 20, '13 12:55pm PST

[notify]