GO!

Is it ever possible to foster if you own an intact dog?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 9:22pm PST 
After being turned down to foster by yet another German Shepherd rescue because I own an intact dog, I have to ask- Are there any rescues that will bend on that policy? I did explain that I both show and work my dog and that he's not intact because I plan to breed, but no dice. It's very discouraging to be repeatedly shut down like this.
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 9:31pm PST 
Absolutely. It really comes down to the individual rescue though.

I foster/ed with the Beagle rescue here, and Charlie is intact. My decision isn't even remotely similar to yours on why I kept him intact. He has epilepsy. That's it. That's the basis for my decision to not neuter him, because it would cost me more and I'd have to go through all sorts of precautions to ensure nothing effected him. Not worth it to me, when I can just leave him intact.

That said... I volunteered with them first at some adoption events, and then asked them about fostering after they got to know me. They were totally cool with letting me foster, as long as it was fixed dogs that I was fostering.

I ended up taking on one of their problem dogs and helping to rehabilitate a bunch of his behaviors that were... well, unadoptable to say the least. He's now in a good home, and although I can't foster right now, I'm still in good standing with them and will be volunteering at another event this coming weekend.

Try not to get too discouraged. Keep in mind that MANY breeders support rescues too and foster with them. You can always contact your breeder and find out if he/she supports a specific rescue or would make a recommendation, or ask around on the GSD forums as I'm sure some rescues go on there too, if it's GSD's you're looking to foster. smile
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 9:55pm PST 
They said they understood he was intact for show purposes, but they couldn't put their dogs into "that kind of environment" because dogs act differently around intact dogs. I suppose that's probably true for some dogs, but I will admit to being slightly offended at my home being referred to as though it were detrimental to the well being of dogs.

Asking his breeder is a good idea, but she lives two states away, so I don't know that she has many connections in my area. I know all the GSD rescues in my area, but so far none of them want me as a foster home.

This rescue didn't have a fence requirement, so I was excited they might be a little more lenient on things other rescues take a hard stance on. I was planning to take my foster to the basic obedience class that meets after Onyx's OB class, get one of those "Adopt Me" bandanas to walk around town in, get the dog in great physical shape, ect. ect. I should really know better by now than to get my hopes up prematurely. (Yes, I am having a pity party.)

Good to know there are some that will let people with intact dogs foster. Clearly many households have a mix of intact and neutered dogs, so I didn't think that would be why they would turn me down. I figured they would just think I was irresponsible for not neutering, which was why I explained some of my reasons on my application. I might try branching out to all-breed shelter/rescues and aim to foster the GSDs they get when possible.
[notify]

Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 11:25pm PST 
PM me your nearest city, Onyx. A lot of GSD show breeders foster dogs. Most I know have seniors....dogs who came into the rescue aged, and the breeders are happy to volunteer and offer their place as a retirement home. Your best bet may be to get in with the closest local GSD chapter who has a rescue board. These can be less traditional rescues, but tend to be well funded and are chock full of people with intact dogs, as they do show.

Alternatively, exactly as with what Charlie said....I offered my volunteerism in different ways first, and then known and valued to rescue it was not like they were going to say no wink You could start, just in example, doing home checks, etc.

Edited by author Tue Apr 23, '13 11:31pm PST

[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 12:44am PST 
I had a few rescues turn me down because of Bud. But as the others mentioned, I volunteered to help out with other stuff and got to know them. Once they knew me and realized I was dead serious, I was in. Of course it doesn't hurt if they are screaming for foster homes. Sad but true, I guess.
Now I have no worries, I can't turn myself down.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 11:39am PST 
Part of the reason I wanted to foster was because the GSD rescues in my area are all over an hour's drive away. Close enough I could take the dog to the adoption events a few times a month, but far enough I didn't want to drive out multiple times a week. I tried volunteering at a couple shelters in my area and even got turned down for that shrug

I have considered pulling dogs on my own. One of the nearby high kill shelters gets GSDs quite often. The problem is I don't have much in the way of resources to get the dogs adopted after I take them.

PM'd you, Tiller.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 12:00pm PST 
I wish I had known someone like Tiller. I really didn't know what to do either. But I knew what NOT to do. I started with a passion, a few friends, and a bank account. The first few dogs I think we really floundered on but I made more contacts, got smarter and learned as I went. Not saying it was a good idea, and I definitely break rules, but we make it work. My problem is I hate peoplelaugh out loud
[notify]
Shiver Me- Timbers- "Charlie"

My Little Dog, a- heartbeat at my- feet.<3

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 12:12pm PST 
Sabi laugh out loud

We both hate people, so we've got that much in common!

I'm surprised that the shelters were even turning you down, Onyx. Tiller should hopefully be able to help. I wish I'd had her help too back when I started volunteering. Granted, it was the dogster community I turned to when the foster I got turned out to have so many issues and it's because of the people on dogster that I managed to work him past those issues and get him adopted. Love dogster as a resource, lol. smile
[notify]
Josie- *Forever in- Our Hearts*

Happy to work

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 4:42pm PST 
A lot of rescues dont understand that people who have intact dogs and show them love the breed and are interested in fostering in order to help the breed...I know a good amount of rescues who would not let me foster for them simply because they saw me with an intact dog I was showing (he did not live with me but to them that did not matter). I finally found the shelter and since then i have been in with many rescues who are great and understand that intact dogs do not always equal irresponsible people.

I would try contacting some all breed rescues about fostering also, if there are any in a reasonable distance. From what I have seen some breed specific rescue people are so biased while the all breed people can be more understanding. Although that is not always the case (doxie rescue is great with fosters who have intact dogs in my area while one all breed rescue I know of is extremely strict)

Also I dont know if it just my area but GSD rescue people around me seem extremely judgmental of everyone. I dealt with the local groups when I was at the county shelter and a purebred (with papers) came in and the breeder did not want it back because she had some issues (fearful) I called the local GSD rescues and they immediately started quizzing me and asked why i had not taken the dog if I was so concerned and that I was being irresponsible by not taking the dog out of that environment!! I was so turned off, i was just trying to help and they were acting like i was the one that abandoned the dog.

On another occasion I was helping to train a GSD who came into the shelter and my neighbor had taken an interest in him and was arranging to take him home (he is a police officer and wanted to use this dog not only as a personal pet but as a drug sniffing/whatever dog..it was a young dog at about 6 months old and LOTS of drove). The local GSD rescue was appalled that I was bringing this dog out in public and he might be going to a police officer as a forever home, in their words "a police officer is the worst person to own a GSD, they only abuse them and dump them"...While this might be true about some PD officers I know my neighbor and he has kept every K9 dog he has ever had for its whole life. (Side note this dog is now 7 yrs old and made a great drug dog and is now retired living with my neighbor).

Like i said it might just be the people in my area but i have not had good experiences with GSD rescues...i hope you end up fostering and that everything works out...the rescue would benefit from you being involved with them
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 3:00pm PST 
Thanks for all the advice and support, guys. I'm definitely going to keep trying to find a way to help the breed, even if it ends up being in a different way then I'd planned.

You could be right that it's somewhat related to breed, Josie. I don't have any experience with other breed rescues, so maybe it is more prevalent in German Shepherd rescues than some other breeds.
[notify]