GO!

I can't catch him but I can count all of his ribs :-( Help???

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 6:43pm PST 
I have seen a small dog in the road several Xs over the last two weeks. It is a small chi, looks like a animated dog skeleton. I don't see him every day.

I have stopped twice now but he runs away. I put food in my car and this evening spent about a half hour hunkered down on the side of the road, but he wouldn't approach. I did manage to give him a few liver treats.

I finally gave up and came home. I put more dog food into my car, I am hoping that I can make friends and catch him at some point.

I feel terrible about leaving him, but it was no use. Any ideas? ( no, we don't have a humane society or animal control that will be willing to spend hours on the corner hoping a stray dog will turn up)cry
[notify]
Sarah,- CW-SR,- CW-G1, CGC

Million Dollar- Mutt

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 6:55pm PST 
what about a humane trap? Check out Lost Dogs Illinois for some tips-

http://www.missingpetpartnership.org/recovery-disasters.php
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 7:13pm PST 
Yes, definitely a trap on a day when you can go back to check it every few hours. Also be warned that if you do manage to catch the poor guy he's probably going to be spooked being caught. If he's willing to take food from you at all even at a distance he's probably not totally feral. But if he's been on his own for awhile it's gonna take some time for him to settle.
Best of Luck! Keep us updatedsmile
[notify]

Fritz

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 8:12pm PST 
Thanks, I will check out the traps, but I don't know about putting a trap out there. It is on the corner of the highway and our road. I guess I could put it off of the road out of sight. If he is living by the side of the road he might find it. (BOL I hope a skunk or other wild animal doesn't find it.) I think I will call our vet tomorrow, one of the techs lives on my road and might help. The humane society might have a trap I could borrow as well.

I think he was dumped, he has a collar and a flea collar. I have asked at the few houses near the corner,no one knows where he came from. (and they don't seem to be interested in helping him) He did watch me, and he would come about 20 feet away to get the treats I tossed. He didn't rush away, so I don't think anyone has been throwing rocks at him. He barked at me if I tried to move toward him, like Cocoa would if a stranger approached him. Maybe feeding will work, I hope so. It will be saturday before I will be home and could check a trap. I would like to try luring him with another dog but Tipper is my only strange dog friendly dog and she is a lot bigger then the little guy.
If it helps, I live in Citronelle Alabama, north of Mobile. At least the weather is really nice.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 9:51pm PST 
A trap may scare him. But if you have to go for it.

Take a high priority food with you. If he's starving he may jump at the chance for human food. I've lured my own run away dog before ( Jake is such a pain) with hamburgers and hot dogs.

Ifyou have a slip lead that may help as well. I've used those to catch dogs that are to facinated with eitehr food or jake before they can get away. I usually keep one of those in my car at all times.

If you can ge tsomeone to help you can try distracting him and then catching him in blanket.

You could also try your large dog. if this little dog is dog friendly then any dog should do. I caught jake once when i dropped the leash because he stopped to investigate the neighbors three blocks away Great Dane while they were out on a walk. I almost cried when the guy had him. I had thought he was gonna get crushed by a car before I could catch him.

Good luck to you and that little guy.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 9:08am PST 
If you can't get/use a trap I would return every day and leave food in the same place. I would also rub yourself with an old towel and leave the food on that so the dog smells you while eating the food and makes the connection. Hopefully he stays in that area where he's getting food and in a couple days understands that your smell means food and trusts you enough to get close.
[notify]
Fritz

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 3:53pm PST 
Thanks, I will give it a try. Our vet tech will also look for him and try feeding him. Maybe between the two of us, we can catch him. I am hesitant to try using a trap. It isn't a good place to put a trap out and even if I check frequently, I worry. I also worry that if a trap tries to grab him, we will never see him again.

Keep your paws crossed.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 5:50pm PST 
Any luck on catching the little pup?
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 1:11am PST 
Stupid, I know, but try opening the car door and jingling your keys. It's worked bunches of times for me. Also try squeaky toys.
[notify]
Fritz

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 3:43am PST 
No luck yet. I have several people watching for him. I haven't seen him since the last time I posted, I hope he is okay.(I think he may be hiding off of the road somewhere or maybe he has rounds where he can find some water and a little food.

I talked to animal control about a trap but I am having second thoughts. The traps are BIG and the little guy is not always out there. I can get a small wire trap at Tractor Supply for $30. I am thinking of trying the food for a week and then purchasing a trap if he doesn't come around.

Thanks Sabi, good idea. He doesn't seem nearly as afraid of cars as he does of people. If I could get him into the car, I could take my time coaxing him to me.

Fritz and Betty
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4