GO!

What goes into a home check? - I really want a rescue!

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 7:00pm PST 
Thanks for the kind words.

Yeah that first experience has me extremely off put. And ended up taking jake from a shelter. I was a bit desperate at that time and extremely depressed. I hope this time it won't be like that. But we'll see.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 6:35am PST 
I try really hard not to bring up food when adopting out a dog (I foster) or doing a home check unless they ask me or the foster has a food issue. I know that I feed something expensive (pre-made raw) that most people won't. When I am asked I do recommend a range of grain inclusive and grain-free kibbles all made in Canada so they can find something in their price range.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 10:20am PST 
I dunno, Between 3 different rescues or the same two county/city shelters-our happiest, healthiest, most social critters-both dogs and cats came from the shelters. Rescues often have their hearts in the right place, they want to find the right forever home for a particular animal that they've gone to the effort to save. But like human social workers they're only human. They make judgements and assumptions sometimes and it hurts.
A city or county shelter is a crapshoot on background sometimes, we don't know anything about either of our dogs, even their ages...also unless you know 100% that your dog will be comfortable meeting a potential adoptee I wouldn't mention you have a dog...we were turned down at one place because Sophie reacted to a crowded office and they thought she would attack another dog. in a city shelter adopting is basically do you have proof you own? If you rent a letter from your landlord and the adoption fee, minimal questions and paperwork and you're saving a dog that really needs you.
[notify]

Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 11:41am PST 
But that's YOUR area. Here my rescue gets asked all the time by SPCAs to take dogs that need more training or aren't good with other dogs or need more medical care. They keep the easy ones and pass everything else off to us because we have the people willing to put the training into the dogs to get them homes. Not only do I train them on my own but I have taken my fosters to classes, you don't get that with an SPCA. But that's MY area.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 2:28pm PST 
Opheilia -

It's true what you say in a way. Since I did take Jake (Mr. B) out of a city shelter on the day he was to be euthanized because the people who had him before me didn't try( they had him 3 days). He seemed solid enough when i first got him but after a day or two out of the pound he fell apart quite literally. He cost me over $2000 in damages in teh first 3 months I owned him. And this was becuase the city shelter never thought to inform me he'd been returned for Seperation Anxiety. Jake put me through so much stress and he's just now where he's stable enough to be home alone. He was great when he was a PSDit but because his eyes are't that great for distance seenig anymore I had to wash him.

This time around I want a dog with some known character and i'll take a dog with issues as long as i'm aware of them. but I'd much rather prefer a solid dog.

Jake reacts great to all types of situations thanks to his PSDiT work. He has been all over from schools to college campuses to home depot to dog parks and daycare. At worse he'll start shaking from excitement if there's a whole bunch of dogs and he's not wearing his working clothes. I've never really had an issue with him being aggressive on lead or even with other dogs unless they try to hump him. I've been to the two rescues i've decided on and thankfully they're both small. One is a mixed shelter and the other is basset specific. They both have a large area tht the dogs will be introduced in with me and a volunteer person available.

Jake tends to have 0 interest in any other dog as long as there's stuff to pee on. Until he's peed on everything in that area i don't think he'll even acknowledge that there's another dog there. I also can't really keep Jake a secret since he's registered wtih my city. So if i went to the city shelter they'd know he's there. Since that's were he came from. And if they did decide to come to my apartment they'd see all the dog stuff.

Jewel-

Thanks for your input. I'll just say i feed a combination of Innova, instict raw boost, instinct madalleons. Since that's semi true. I keep kibble around in case of boarding or if there's a disaster and i loose my freezer. A few 5 lb bags of innova and instinct raw boost big grin

Another random note.

The address on my ID is still my parents home since i'm a college student. Could i simply bypass the whole home check thing by having them come home check my parents house and then say i moved out later? Since my parents have a large fenced in yard and all that jazz as they own a house?I know that's totally dishonest but that's were i'd like my dogs chipped registered too sicne unlike me who moves around because of school all my mail and important documents go to my parents home? Or would that be 100% dishonest?

I only ask becasue looking over the adoption forms they want an ID showing i live at the address? Or should I just bring a bill with my new address on it and say I don't have an ID at that address yet?
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Wed Feb 27, '13 4:27pm PST 
I would use your parents address, and I agree the rescue you're talking about sounds like a caring place...some of the animal groups around here aren't.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 5:58am PST 
Personally, I wouldn't feel right about doing that. I would be up front with the rescue...
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 10:23am PST 
I know i don't eitehr. But they say I have to have an ID showing my current address which I do not. When i got jake from the city shelter. They would only put the address from my idea even though i said i didn't live there anymore. Well techincally i do but i don't since i live on my own but it's still my parents home.

So would bringing a bill or somethign showing my new address work instead of the idea? Since i'm not going to order a new drivers license every time i bounce to a new city in the same state.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 10:59am PST 
That ought to work...if you have something with an air of officialness about it, like a letter from a county or town agency...it might be better. But I think if you explain it (and nothing wrong with telling them about your parents, especially if you and pups will be using their big back yard) then an understanding group should be okay with it. Maybe a note from your current landlord or veterinarian?
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Thu Feb 28, '13 11:53am PST 
That sounds like a good idea. I think i'll ask my landlord for a letter when i ask for an approval for teh new puppy dog. I really hope this all goes through.

This is all so nerve racking since that first experence with a rescue was so bad and it's still fresh it was only a little over a year and a half ago.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3