GO!

Hoping to adopt a wolfdog

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Tuck

CHIC CH. Tuck- CDX TDX RN VNEX- TDI SAR-W3

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 12:18am PST 
Also, check with your neighbors if it's ok.

Some people had 2 high content wolves about a mile from me. I could understand from the racket a mile away, why the neighbors took exception to the wolves being there. They lived there for about 6 months, and neighbors petitioned unsuccessfully to have them removed.

I'm not saying this is right, nor am I agreeing with this, but somehow both wolves got poisoned.

These wolves presented such a neighborhood problem, when they couldn't be handled legally, someone made the problem disappear.

sad.

really sad.

But living a mile away from all that racket, I can only imagine how unbearable it was to the neighbors close. Those poor wolves did not belong living in those circumstances. The owner kept them unfairly and the wolves ultimately suffered.
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 4:22am PST 
Please don't get a wolfdog. I think they are beautiful but would never, ever have one. It's not like having a dog at all. They have fear issues, can be extremely aggressive, often cannot live in the house, need escape proof runs (which are extremely expensive) and are only for the most experienced, dedicated people. All the wolfdog owners I know have dedicated their lives to their animals. No spontaneous going out, no holidays, no dog park, constant vigilance for their animal's welfare. They are not a pet ... they are a constant companion. And no rescue or breeder worth their salt is going to sell to a teen, sorry. Any who does is probably misrepresenting their animals and you will just end up with an expensive wolfy looking mutt.

Get a dog instead. A dog that fits in with your family, not choice based on looks.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 7:16am PST 
All really good points made already. From my extensive experience owning Huskies, having worked with wolf and coydogs, and met with several wolf sanctuaries... IF this is a road you want to go down, at MINIMUM you need to own your own, large, isolated property and have the money to put in an extensive, highly secure fencing system.

Right now, you should be researching Huskies. A drive-y, wolfy-looking dog is the closest you should come to a wolf-dog in your current situation - and honestly, based on the info in your post, even a Husky (or any dog) may not be a good idea for you at this point.

Who will care for the dog when you're at school is a huge issue, as is what will happen to the dog when you're out of high school. Are you going to college? Most won't allow a dog on campus - so can you afford to live off campus, or will your parents care for this dog that they don't really want? Or are you going to move out and rent? Most apartments won't allow ANY dogs. Large dogs are worse, and Huskies in particular are one of the many breeds backlisted by insurance companies.

I'm not saying it's absolute bad idea, but I have very rarely seen it work out well when someone in high school gets a puppy. The logistics here go way beyond "how do I get the money from my parents?" Volunteering might be your best bet at this point, and that's ok too.
[notify]

Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 NAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Mon Feb 25, '13 12:22pm PST 
I fully agree with what everyone else has posted. Especially for a first time pet do NOT get a 'wolf dog'. Beautiful as they may be, they are often torn between their doggish side and their wolfish side and its hard to be predict what type of behavior they will show. wolf behavior, despite what you may hear, is a lot different than dogs. Yes there are similarities, but generally if you mis-signal to a dog they wont take it wrong and literally try to kill you. Again, not saying all will, but it is possible. It is part wild animal. They are not for inexperienced, as mentioned they need LOTS of space ( think many acres just like a full wolf), tend to have more wild insticts ( such as hunting down your neighbors dog, cattle, etc). I know theres some awesome wolf mixes out there, but they are not for everyone. in my opinion, not to urt your feelings, but especially not a 16 year old. These are very powerful and large animals.

A while back I read an interesting book called " Part Wild ", maybe it will give you a better perspective on the idea as well. Again, please don't be offended, but it is not a smart decision. Even if your wolf dog loves you to death and theres never a problem towards you, you will most likely only end up causing suffering for your 'pet'

http://www.amazon.com/Part-Wild-Journey-Creature-Between/dp /1451634811/ref=sr_1_35?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361823408&sr=1-35&keywo rds=wolf dog ( remove any spaces dogster may have added )

Edited by author Mon Feb 25, '13 12:25pm PST

[notify]
Augusta,- CGC, RN

Such a Good Dog!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 6:51am PST 
I hate to say it, but your post sounds so naive, that I question whether you're just posting to stir up trouble and get a rise out of people. . ..

NO, you won't be devastated if you don't get a wolf dog. Your parents are right not to get you a wolf dog for all the previously stated reasons. No one here is going to give you any arguments for you to convince them it's a good idea, because it's not.

Edited by author Tue Feb 26, '13 6:52am PST

[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 7:33am PST 
I actually don't know whether this comment will be appropriate or not, because I really don't mean any harm by it. I am wondering if the young person who posted has read too many historical adventures in which the young hero or heroine is "bonded" with a half wild dog that obeys them and loves only them. I have read many young adult novels that have an element like this. They do tend to make it seem romantic and give the protagonist a special quality that the reader might admire.

And that kind of relationship CAN exist if you find your soul dog. Mine (very unwolf-like) turned out to be a chubby little Corgi who worships the ground I walk on. Not as dramatic as a wolf, but a good deal more practical.

As far as having a dog as a teen...I got my "first" dog when I was 21 and living at home while going to college. The family had little dogs all my life, but when I got the go ahead, I was determined to have a big dog. I chose a Lab, again much easier to deal with than a wolf mix. But even then I had enough trouble and might not have been able to responsibly keep the dog unless I had buy in from my parents. Nothing wrong with getting support. OP, are your parents against you having ANY dog or a wolf dog in particular. You need to think about it.
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue Feb 26, '13 4:28pm PST 
I got my first Husky when I was 19. I did it knowing it was going to be challenging, but I had a plan and a willingness to do whatever it took to keep us together. Even at the time, I did not recommend doing what I was. Several of my peers came to me about getting a dog as well, and I talked them out of it with a few basic points (generally where are you going to live? And you know this means you can not stay out all night, passed out where you ended up after that concert - you may not even be able to drink at all, because you probably have to drive right home afterward and take care of the dog?)

Dog ownership - especially if you are on your own with it; My parents did approve and were willing to petsit on occasion since Vance was well behaved and that was a MAJOR help - adds a level of responsibility to life that most young adults realistically don't want or need.

Looking back at 27, I don't regret anything, but I don't know if I would do it again knowing what I do now. I missed out on a lot, and not just in terms of carefree parties. There was immense time spent and stress over living accommodations and work. I spent a LOT of money that I could have been saving and applying toward building a life for myself on stupid things like dog fees on unspeakably crummy apartments - not to mention vet bills. I knew it was going to be hard, but it was even harder than I had imagined and ended up impacting me in ways I didn't even have enough life experience to understand at 19.

And it would have been impossible with a wolf-dog. I searched for a long time to find an adult dog who was comfortable with all people and dogs, who was up for anything. A wolf dog - specifically a 50/50 mix - will not fit that criteria.
[notify]
Hoss

Hoss the Boss

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 6:39am PST 
I had a wolf dog years ago. Although I love that dog dearly I do not recommend them. Kari was very very territorial. Even in the car. If someone tried to reach into the car when I tried to pay for gas she would lunge and snarl. She went through a screen after the meter man. Every time my husband came home she would pee in excitement. I could not walk her anywhere where there might be another dog or lots of people. I always had to muzzle her at the vets. I was always always watchful of her.

It sounds like she was a terrible dog, she wasn't. I never worried about anyone breaking into my house. She was the easiest and best trained dog I ever had and she saved my son's life twice. Would I get another one? Never. I like having a dog that I can take anywhere. My home owners insurance is cheaper. My new dog is allowed in my town. Wolf dogs aren't anymore. I would seriously re-think a different dog.
[notify]
Bowser

squeak em if you- got em

Barked: Fri Mar 15, '13 11:35am PST 
wolves are not pets. I dont think you understand that it would be a terrible idea. even low content wolf-dogs. my neighbor had one and it howled all night and ran away 24/7. it had zero interest in being a family member and it eventually ran off for good one day.

adopt a shelter dog instead. there is a reason we have worked hard to tame wolves and make them into dogs. wolves make terrible pets.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Mar 15, '13 5:23pm PST 
One tv show-Fatal Attractions and one movie Grizzly Man, reasons why wild animals are not so good with humans...usually because said human is delusional in thinking they have a "special way" with the animal in question, not taking into account the some creatures are not able to be and should not be domesticated.
That movie...or worse reading articles detailing what the movie didn't showshock
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3