GO!

A happy ending story

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Hoss

Hoss the Boss

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 8:05am PST 
Last Sept. we adopted Hoss. He came from a farm where he was kept chained with chain link fencing around his neck. In all kind of weather without shelter. Improperly fed he was skinny and had sores around his neck. From the scars on his flank it was obviously he had been shot at some time with buckshot and the owner told the rescue group if they didn't come get him right away he was going to shoot him.

When we first met him we were at Petsmart and saw him literally dragging his foster into the store. He had no leash training. He weighed in at 73 pounds and was pretty thin. There were scabs on his neck from the chain and he was fairly ripe smelling. Of course we fell right in love, LOL. I mean who couldn't love this big ole smelly dog who was just reeking of friendliness and good cheer.

The first few weeks were spent cautiously getting to know each other. He had no idea what a toy was, getting fed regularly was a new thing and walking on a leash was a challenge. He was one strong dog. But not stupid and eager to please.

At first he was super friendly but not really bonded to us. I think he would have gone with anyone. But as he stayed longer and got used to us he warmed up. He learned to love our long walks in the woods and playing with toys. He learned to sit, stay, come and not pull on the leash. And we learned to trust him.

Now it is 5 months later. His fur is so soft and shiny, he has filled out at weighs in at 79.6 pounds and is a muscle machine. Him and cat are good pals and spend hours playing and he is still a friendly happy dog who loves everyone even with his terrible beginning.

So if anyone is considering getting a rescue this is what it could be like. A happy story with a happy ending.
[notify]
Ace

Mischief is my- middle name

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 2:12pm PST 
Awesome story, and more proof that dogs have more capacity for forgiveness in their hind paws than most humans do in their whole bodies.
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 4:33pm PST 
What a wonderful journey and may it continue many yesrs !

hughughughugdog walkdog walkdog walk
[notify]

Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Sat Feb 16, '13 9:25pm PST 
What a big handsome boy! I am sure glad he has a furever good home. We got Seela when she was six years old. She wasn't starved but emotionally neglected (alone a kennel for most of her life), did not know how to play or know what a treat was and stunk to high heaven. Seela is a totally different dog now. I know they really appreciate the attention, good food and owners that tend to their basic needs and treat them as part of the family. It did take Seela a while to fully bond to us, but when she did, you know it is truly sincere. Congratulations of your big bundle of joy!
[notify]