|Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 7:42pm PST |
|I dont even know where to start, or if this is the place TO start, but this WILL be very long, but I need help to rehome my baby before he is euthanized.
I have previously approached shar pei rescues (they couldnt take him). I will not even try to lie about his situation, or our issues with him. First and fore most he is an AMAZING dog, very protective of his family, but ONLY inside the home, he looovess people all other times. love being with us, and in the middle of the family life.
His story is kind of crazy, we saw him in a free ad, he looked beautiful, his name was "bruno" We went to visit him that night, he was missing a lot of fur, his skin was black and his eyes were very infected and he was terrified of people. We knew he was going to be trouble, they said they were adopting him out first come first serve, we took him. We didnt want him to be thrown away when people found out how difficult he'd be (low and behold we had NO idea either) He had never been inside a house, never on a leash, never in a car (Besides when they brought him home at 8weeks, he was 16 months when we took him) he had never been to a vet, so he was not vaccinated, or neutered. He had never had a bath either. The very next day we took him to the vet, had him vaccinated and examined, he had a significant amount of scarring on his eyes which explains the skiddish behavior...he couldnt see!! We scheduled the eye surgery he had to have in order to pull his eyelids right, and his neuter, as well as a biopsy of his skin because of the poor condition (he had that issue most Pei's have with the eyelids inverting).
A week after his surgery, our neighbors German Shepherd, not only BROKE through our wood fencing but attacked our dog (we named him Jack, by the way) and pulled him through the fence. I was there when it happened and panicked none of my neighbors were home so I got in the middle, yes bad idea. I used a piece of wood from the fence to hit the Shepherd until he released my dog, I was bit twice by the shepherd, was able to scoop up my dog, called my vet and told him my dog was tore up. This dog SHREDDED him, his back and eyes were tore back open where all the sutures were and his throat was mangled (I have pictures if anyone would want to see but they are somewhat graphic) My vet agreed to work on him for free, and only wanted payment if the neighbors had to end up paying (which they did) My vet called the next day and told me he had gotten the biopsy back, as well as examined the wounds and said nothing had healed from the surgery the week before, and that he had cutaneous mucinosis he just had so much mucin his body was not able to heal. it coincidentally saved him from the attack because there was so much mucin it prevented too much blood loss. BUT he told me he needed to be put to sleep because he would not heal. I asked to be given time to come say goodbye, as we were readying to leave my vet called back and said he got a hold of a dermatologist who gave him some advice to heal him, said if I was willing to put in the time that he would perform surgery on Jack and insert tubes in all his wounds for draining and healing, it also required a list of medications. I obviously was more than willing. The vet said there was no guarantee he would heal, but wanted to help cause he had never met such a loving Pei. After 2 months, maybe a bit longer he started to heal! It was a long process, lots of blood, and mess and sleeping with a naked dirty dog on me in the kitchen. But he healed! He healed so well and all his fur grew back, you wouldnt know he was missing a complete section of rolls on his shoulders.
Did I mention he house trained himself? So anyway, after this ordeal he has been my shadow, my baby really . Could really care less about my husband and children but loved me. Even after this event with the Shepherd he still loved other dogs (I fostered dogs for a local rescue, he got along with every single one, from the ridgeback mix, to the chihuahuas he played with them all!) We started noticing, as his fur grew back that he was having issues with "hot spots" chewing and chewing. At first we were told allergies, he was prescribed benedryl and prednisone. It worked, until the prednisone wore off. This was every resonpse we heard from different vets, its allergies. We switched to a holsitic dog food, tried limited ingredient dog food. Even tried cooking him food for a bit. Nothing helped, expcet for the prednisone. We even had him on Atopica for 4 months before quitting cause it made no difference if he wasnt on some sort of steroid as well. But his liver enxymes are elevated, we cant keep putting him on prednisone.
As you can see his issues, and vet bills have been high, to say the least. Its wearing my husband down as I believe the cost has gone over $3000 now. (he will be 5 this year, btw in July) My husband wants him euthanized and has threatened to have him put down if we cant find a solution, that was 3 vet visits and $700 ago. I contacted a rescue and they mentioned systemic yeast infection. I tried at home treatment, it worked wonderfully for about 3 months...hes just recently regressed back to the chewing. Because my husband has refused to help with medical expenses for him anymore, I got a Job doing daycare in my home. Unfortunetly we had a bit of a *Surprise* pregnancy, and I cannot work anymore due to complications that i have during pregnancy. I have no choice but to find my dear sweet Jack a new home, hopefully. It is not just my husband recommending euthansia, two other vets have as well. The last said outside of allergy injections (which I really feel, his issues are NOT allergy, I do believe he has swollen hock possibly (impossible to get a vet to listen to me about it because of his skin conditions, they always get preoccupied with "fixing" that first)) there is nothing more they can do for him. Another vet just told me it costs too much to keep him semi healthy/comfortable, and he should be put down.
I CANNOT in good conscious put this dog to sleep, he may have a face only a mother can love, but he is a beautiful spirited dog and I would love to see him live out the rest of his years with someone that has the resources to help him with whatever issues he has. We cannot afford specialists so we are screwed into using local vets (which seem pretty unknowing of Shar Peis). I would really love input if others think it'd be best to put him down too, and I am just too blinded to see it, I just cant see that alternative
I live in Central California and am very willing to travel (a reasonable distance that is, I have three children) the state to find him a home.
If you read through that, THANK YOU!! and if you'd like pictures and are seriously interested, PLEASE let me know, He really needs a fantastic home! I am sure I am missing some information in here, so feel free to ask questions! Thank you again for reading!!
|my posts|| [notify]|