GO!

Stray/lost dog question.

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Annie

I know I'm cute- rub my belly!

Barked: Wed Dec 12, '12 4:40pm PST 
Yesterday coming home I saw a dog on the sidewalk right outside my apartment complex. I tried to get him to come to me but every time I got out of my car he would run off. I tried enticing him with some treats I had on hand but he wouldn't even let me near him. He had a collar but looked kind of skinny and was obviously scared. Does anyone have any tips for trying to get him to come to me if I see him again? He definitely belonged to someone and with as bad as the cold gets here I sure hope he finds his way home soon. Sunday it was -10 with wind chill.
[notify]
Savannah- Blue Belle

A Heart of Gold!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 10:05am PST 
Hard to do this in that cold, but I have coaxed dogs over by holding treats and just sitting on the ground. When I am at their level, they are able to approach without as much fear.

It takes some time, though.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 10:48am PST 
I wouldn't try to round up a dog from a car. Sometimes loose dogs have either been recently hit or almost hit so they're naturally skittish of anything coming from a car. It's better to park and walk to the general area where the dog's been hanging around.

I agree with Savannah. Even though it was cold, last time I had to round up a loose fella...I fortunately happened to be frying up a ham steak in the house. I just went near the spot the guy had been recently and sat down holding the fragrant ham chunk. He came around in about ten minutes. He obviously could smell my dog and was already attracted to the yard. You generally have hunger on your side. Slow movements and calm soothing words will get them to approach more often than not right along with the yummy stuff. He was a really nice B & T coonhound, had him back with his owner in a few hours.

Give it another shot and good luck. It is a terrific feeling to give back a missing pup.big grin
[notify]

Josie

Happy to work

Barked: Thu Dec 13, '12 2:29pm PST 
If you see him in the same area all the time try luring him into a secure area (my yard has a 6 ft solid wood fence so it works well) by observing his habits and leaving a trail of treats or chicken (i have used a mixture of blended chicken and water with pieces of chicken spaced out along the trail) Then be patient and use the technique that everyone else has mentioned..

If he has a collar I (have in the past with a very skiddish cat I saw in my neighborhood with a collar and tag) taken a pic with the zoom as far as it could go and then uploaded the pic and tried to read the number/name on the tag.

Good luck
[notify]
Annie

I know I'm cute- rub my belly!

Barked: Fri Dec 14, '12 6:33pm PST 
I haven't seen him since but I wasn't trying to get him from my car. I was out of my car and tried to toss some treats out and back up some but he just ran from me. I hope that he is safe.
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Mon Dec 17, '12 4:43pm PST 
Callie got out the first day we had him and a neighbor lured him in the house with salami. Sent her a holiday thank you card. Wonderful brave woman taking a strange bull terrier into her house, reading his tag and calling us right away...eternally grateful to that neighborlittle angel
[notify]

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 10:47pm PST 
I agree with Lucille. Skittish dogs may just have met an accident with a car which is why he ran away from you when you were inside a car. It would probably be a great idea if, like Savannah, you would hold a treat in your hand and just wait for him to come to you. Don't do anything rash like chase him or coax him to come to you. Just let him be and wait for him to approach.
[notify]