GO!

Adopting to Family rant & advise needed.

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 1:16pm PST 
So I have this Aunt & Uncle that lost their dog in the summer and when I saw them at my Grandma's birthday I offered to, when they were ready, help them find a new dog. My Aunt went on & on about how they were only going to get another dog when they found one that "needed" them. shrug Uh dogs in shelters & rescues all over the province lady! Whatever, I admit they're crazy. Nice but crazy. They honestly believe their dog once said "yes" when they asked her something.

Anyways a couple months go by and I've got a 3-legged foster and I post a couple times on facebook about him, like oh he's here, taking him to the vet today and etc. Really generally stuff.

BAM I get a message from her, they want to adopt him. She does not ask me a SINGLE question about him. She apparently doesn't care how big he is, how much energy he has, if he eats couchs...nothing. This is a dog that "needs" her.

I told her he's not a match for them using their semi-wild cat as a reason and move on with my life. She has not! She keeps posting on my facebook "wish he liked cats" or "if only you could get him to like cats". Yeah he loves cats! He loves to chase them, he ripped the leash out of hand to chase one. Your cat had a stroke at the sight of JEWEL when she just stood there looking at it. Of course once it ran away from Jewel she chased it, Jettsen would probably kill it at the end, unlike Jewel that playbowed it.

Now she tells me they want to come visit. BS!! I can't remember the last time they came to see me? Never maybe. She wants to come see Jettsen. Her obsession with him is making me crazy! I wouldn't adopt him to them even if they didn't have that cat. They never walked their last dog, NEVER. They played fetch with her in the yard until she dropped and then when she got HD said it was a blessing she ended up with people that never walked her since she had bad hips. ??? Yeah I'm sure nice gentle walks would have made her hips much worse than ripping around the yard and jumping the deck.

Plus she was over-weight. Free feeding plus a plate full of whatever they were eating. I saw that dog eat a whole waffle with whipped cream, bacon and syrup.

Seriously?? As a three legged dog he needs to be kept slim and have regular excersize! Argh. Just really frustrated. I tried telling them no the nice way and they won't let go so now I'm going to have to be mean?

They think they know so much about dogs & training but they don't. They think I don't know anything because Jewel wouldn't listen to my Uncle when we were there once. Umm, which one of us gave our dog a treat every single time it peed in the house when people came over? Not a treat before hand to distract her from the people...no once she had peed she got a treat to calm her. Uhhhh and they wondered why she was still peeing in the house at 6 years old?

Sorry this got so long, just really annoyed. Any advise?
[notify]

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 2:13pm PST 
I can understand why you wouldn't want them to have Jettsen...but from the way you talk about them...why offer to help them find a dog in the first place if you do not think they would be good dog owners?thinking
[notify]
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 2:39pm PST 
I know how you feel, some people in my family drive me crazy with their pets. Its tough because you dont want to cause a huge issue but do not want to jeopardize any animal either.

My suggestion would be to ask them to stop posting about Jettson on his pics as it does not look good to anyone who might be considering adopting him. Then I would tell them that you simply are very busy caring for your animals and everything else and that you would not feel comfortable with them visiting when you just do not have time to spend with them. As for them finding a dog, I direct them to some reputable rescues near them and tell them that there are lots of great dogs near them and the rescues you send them could help match them with a dog. This way you are "helping" without all the stress being put on you, the rescue with decide if they are a good home for that animal.
[notify]

Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 2:41pm PST 
FB gives users the option to block certain people from seeing your posts. Maybe try that? laugh out loud
[notify]
Shane DEC- '08-JAN '12- RIP

In dreams I walk- with you..

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 2:56pm PST 
Get someone from your rescue to do a telephone interview and reject them. That way you're off the hook.
[notify]
Toto, CD, RN, CGC

We don't do- doodles!!!

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 3:37pm PST 
I'm with Shane, what a GREAT IDEA!!!!!
[notify]
Scruffy- (R.I.P.)

In Loving Memory

Barked: Thu Nov 29, '12 8:27pm PST 
Great idea Shane!! way to goway to goway to go
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Fri Nov 30, '12 9:49am PST 
Thanks Shane, if it gets down to that I'll use your idea!

I got another message from them, I guess they want to come see my other foster now. I haven't even had her a week but they feel she "needs" them. Why do all my fosters need them but no other dog does???

I told her flat out she couldn't free feed this dog because it would eat until it threw up. She answered back that they want to control food & weight this time so the dog will live longer with less health issues. Maybe their dog dying taught them a lesson?? Or they're just saying that but will fall back into bad habits. It's hard to tell.

They are very loving and willing to spend money on medical care, grooming, toys and all that stuff. shrug It could be the right home for a low engery dog if they could control the food.
[notify]
Fritz

Fritz, cats are- fun when they- run

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 7:20am PST 
Could you put them on probation for a year? Tell them you will take the dog back if they free feed or fail to provide exercise? (Even if not true, it might scare them into toeing the line)

Lord knows that every home for a homeless dog can be used. If they take one in,you'all could save another from a high kill shelter or the street.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Dec 1, '12 1:22pm PST 
What I would do is get someone else from your rescue to deal with your Aunt. Interview her and all the like and like some of the others have said put her on a probation period and if pup isn't aquetnly being cared for deal with it then. When I had to rehome my dog last year due to relationship difficutlties and health issues my dad ( who would let this dog off leash in a unsecured area with a HIGH prey drive) wanted to adopt him. I refused and listed the reasons why. He is still mad at me bout it but I made the right choice my placing him ( the pup) with my Sister who has too dogs of her own both rescues, Both well cared for. She even did her research on the pups breed and understood what his personality would be and what would work and what would not. I'd have your aunt and uncle ( if they really want the pup) do research on three legged pups, maybe even give them some reading material on dogs with disabilities and see if they do take it seriously. If they don't you have your answer.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2