GO!

HELP! First time with rescue, terrified of people, won't leave kennel.... and more!

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 7:10pm PST 
Thanks for all of the great responses! I have since gotten a harness and moved the kennel. I kept his bed in the same spot. This has helped TREMENDOUSLY! No more dragging and he is finally getting up on his own when I hook the leash and ask him to get up. He is very food motivated and will take food from my hand outside, or anywhere really. He even sat with me outside for awhile when we went out... Without a leash. Small things, but yet so big!

However, I am thinking I may need to move his bed more to where we are. It is currently behind the couch, so he really doesn't see us to become curious about what we are doing. Or should I leave it and just go to him? I will have to work on ignoring him.

I didn't mention at the time of my original post that he was going in for an FHO today. He currently is walking on three legs, so hopefully this will not be too big of an adjustment for him, other than learning to use that fourth leg again. I guess we'll see if this is going to put us several steps backward after being at the vet until this Friday. I wasn't the one who put him in the car or who took him out to go into the vet, so hopefully he doesn't see me as the bad guy, even though I was there. frown

He really has made great strides in just a short amount of time, but we still have a ways to go. So, this isn't the last time you all will be hearing from me! Thank you all and please feel free to add any further advice or suggestions!
[notify]
Bella &- Cougar

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 7:11pm PST 
Oops, I meant to say REmoved the kennel, not moved the kennel!
[notify]
Darcy

All I need is- Love......

Barked: Wed Nov 7, '12 9:53pm PST 
I would leave the crate, just in case. It's still early and he needs to have a safe place. When people come over just have them ignore him and drop treats. Let him go to them when he's comfortable, yet he has a safe place to go just in case big grin He's going to be food motivated because of the starvation. Rewards with food will be a wonderful thing for him! You may have days when he will "go backwards" Just stop, deep breath and start from the beginning again. One thing about dogs most are extremely resilient and will respond to positive reinforcement with leaps and bounds! way to gocheer
[notify]

Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 4:49pm PST 
I agree to leave the crate for now.

Not only for a safe place, but a place he can go while he recovers from surgery. Dogs are like us, they can get cranky and sore after surgery (even with meds). So that crate might be a good thing for a while longer for both you and him.
[notify]
Leah

Barked: Thu Nov 8, '12 5:51pm PST 
Wow that sounds like a very extreme case of fear! Hi - my first rescue dog I worked with for 2 yrs., and I actually had to have him put down. He was a 5 mo. old pup, the dad was an awesome dog but he was abused! We went to two sessions of training classes, and I had a behavior spec. come to my home. I loved this dog, he was great with the family. It was the hardest thing I ever did. I worked very hard with this dog, he just was not safe d/t fear! Sadly I have rescued 3 dogs, and a horse in my lifetime (not at one time). Yours sounds like a very extreme case for sure, good luck!
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2