GO!

Look what Farles found!

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 9:48pm PST 
Not dog-related, but Farles was totally fixated on my back porch all day today. Sniffing and circling and staring at it. I figured it was a mouse or something and ignored him, but he kept doing it. Eventually, I decided to move the chair blocking the back part of the porch where there's a bit of a gap between the porch and the house, and lo and behold, Farles found 3 kittens under there! shock

This is the second time I have rescued orphaned kittens (mama was no where to be seen- probably a random stray). I couldn't leave the little babies out there, as it is very cold out tonight (-1 degree celsius and rainy and windy).

I took the kittens and brought them inside where it's warm and put them in a box with a towel and some food and water. I called the Humane Society but they closed already and so I left a message and hopefully they'll give me a call in the morning.

The kittens are frightened- obviously haven't had any human contact. They're not meowing, but have hissed and made rumbling noises at me putting my hand near them. I don't know much about cats, so I'm not sure how old they are. I was thinking maybe 4-5 weeks old?

Farles LOVES kittens, but I am keeping him away from them because he is big and scary and they are very frightened. He has been whining all night outside of the room I am keeping them in.

Here's some photos of the little babies, and any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated for the time being!

Kittens #1 and #2

Kitten #3
[notify]
Jace

Swiffer

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 9:58pm PST 
Oh my they are soooo cute. Don't have much to offer, other than it's kind of you to bring them in, and way to go Farles!
[notify]
Jayde

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 10:01pm PST 
aww look at the baby kitties! so cute. way to go Farley.
[notify]

Murphy

Why run when you- can hop??!!

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 10:21pm PST 
Wow good job Farley!!applause

What little beauties! I am sure they won't have too much trouble finding homes. I would recommend looking under your porch again or in any other spots close by (like bushes & such) because mama cat could have more.

wishes
[notify]
MIKA&KAI

Akita Pals- Always.

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 5:42am PST 
Farley- You done Good!!! You must be very proud that you dog has begun his own pet rescue.laugh out loud 5 weeks looks about right and you really shouldn't need to do much more than you are. It isn't the best quality stuff but If I remember correctly the same people who make Friskies cat food also make a non-dairy milk that won't cause diarrhea.They may like that since chances are Mom would still be feeding them occasionally,or you could get some kitten formula from the petstore,vet,or even walmart and mix that up for them,do they know how to eat from a dish yet? I'm just wondering because our shelter does not have a foster program and will not take them if they are under 7 weeks.hugwishes
way to go Farley!!!
[notify]
Farley

Farlekiin the- Dragonborn

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 8:08am PST 
Good morning!big grin

So they slept nice and warm through the night! They have begun meowing but they are very wobbly when they walk, ears are erect and their eyes are still all blue. Judging by a little bit of internet research they are probably around 4-5 weeks old or so. They have access to water but the only thing I had at the time was dog kibble or tuna. I wet some kibble with some warm water but they wouldn't touch it, so I gave them some tuna and all three of them chowed down on it. I will pick up some appropriate kitten wet food today. (Should I be buying milk replacer too)?

I gently handled all three of them separately, and they were great. A little shy at first but very hand friendly and within minutes, they were wanting to explore. smile Farles even came and gave them each a sniff and they didn't seem to mind, and even stretched out to sniff him back!

The smallest white one is a male, weighing 16.5 oz, the big white male is 20.5 oz, and the medium size dark grey female is 17.9 oz.

I have a few friends that are already expressing interest in the kittens, so they may have homes pretty quickly! If I have to wait a few days, I will take them in to the vet for a little check up. All in all, they seem to be doing well. smile

Here's them first thing this morning:

Good morning!

Edited by author Wed Oct 3, '12 8:09am PST

[notify]
Lexi

Spreading Smiles- Wherever I- Go....

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 9:56am PST 
WTG Farley and Mombig hug They are darling. They look old enough to be going potty by themselves which is a good sign too. I would give them replacement milk but ask your vet or local shelter to make sure as at 5 weeks they may not even need it. Our kitty drank just water from 7 8 weks on and lived to be 19. You're doing a great job and thanks for saving themhug
[notify]
Bianca CGC- TT HIC Thd- ♥

What big ears- you have...

Barked: Wed Oct 3, '12 5:25pm PST 
I would guess 5-6 weeks old. Any chance you can foster them for a while before you send them on to new homes? That is really young for a kitten to be adopted out, it's better if they can stay with the litter even if they don't have a mother...
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 4:23am PST 
Soooooooo Cute! way to go
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 4:58am PST 
I already said it, but I wish I could take one! My 21 year old moggy needs an heir.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3