GO!

Out of state adoption...nervous.

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4  
Molly

Shiba-dors rule!

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 8:41pm PST 
Thanks for the good wishes Ellie, I will check out the facebook page.
[notify]
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 9:17pm PST 
Hmm. So *is* there a transport fee in addition to the adoption fee and health cert that you've already paid for? How much is the transport fee? If you can afford to pay for private transport (ie. on a commercial airline as cargo), perhaps you want to offer the rescue that option, as it would keep things more in your control. It will likely be more expensive for you, though.

There are so many ways that rescues move dogs around, these days. But most of them involve efficiencies of scale -- which is to say, a number of dogs going on the same transport. For example, the run-sheet that Star posted -- notice there are 11 canine passengers. The coordination of a number of dogs going to different receivers (transfers to other rescues, or private adoptions) -- can be complicated. So, for example, if one of the dogs got sick (not yours, but someone else's adoptee), they might decide to delay the whole transport until he was well. Because they are not going to do a separate long-distance transport, later, for just the one dog that had to be held back.

When it comes to railroad-style transports like that, also, if just one driver along the route flakes out, that can mess up the whole transport. Sometimes, shelters will have volunteers that are willing to drive longer routes, but even so, if that volunteer flakes (or has something personal come up), there's no transport. Commercial ground transports tend to be more reliable, but also more expensive -- part of why I was wondering what their separate transport fee is. If they're using a commercial transport, I don't know why they wouldn't have explained that already and told you the name of the company.

Have they told you why the Oct.1 transport was delayed?

ETA: I run a transport based rescue group. smile

Edited by author Sat Sep 29, '12 9:21pm PST

Bella and- Daisy CGC

I'm a Meanie

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 5:30am PST 
Just to give you an idea I got an SUV this year and have volunteered about once a month to transport dogs on all volunteer transport railroads. Only 2 of those have actually happened-both a short distance and one which I overnighted the dogs. So the rate is about 2 out of 6 or 7 so far. Its just quite difficult to get enough people, all on the same day, going the same way, that can carry a bunch of dogs.

Some rescues have very established routes and volunteers. This makes it easier to move dogs around. Others depnd on people posting in yahoo groups, here on dogster, or on facebook to geet a route going. This can take weeks sometimes.

When I got Daisy I opted to pay for a private company to bring her to me. I know the exact date and time since it was an established route and professional company.
[notify]

Olive

Lab/Rottie/Chow/- Shepherd Mix!

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 6:03am PST 
Olive came to us from out of state.

http://allpawstransport.com/

She was put on a transport that goes along a route from Mississippi to Maine.

I believe shelters and fosters and rescue groups need to pay for a slot on the transport truck - and it's about $150/dog. The people were legit, all animals were properly vet checked before crossing state lines and the site even had a tracker where you could track the transport truck. When we decided we wanted Olive, we were given a pick up time and location by the rescue group to meet the transport truck. It was at a truck stop off the highway. smile

I just wouldn't pay anything until you have the dog in hand.

Olive's profile on Petfinder told us that she was in Mississippi, but when we we contacted the adoption agency we were shocked to learn she was already on the transport and would be in Maine the next day. Sometimes I guess they place puppies they feel have a good chance of being adopted along the way on the truck before they actually have an adopter (That's the way it was explained to me). We were the last stop. smile

Edited by author Sun Sep 30, '12 6:09am PST

[notify]
Molly

Shiba-dors rule!

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 10:14am PST 
wave everyone, thanks for all the replies. Duncan, the transport fee for Graham is $175.00 which seems reasonable considering it is a 1400 mile trip. I think she uses more than one commercial transport group, not sure which ones. I'm not sure why the one scheduled for tomorrow didn't work out. I did get an email from her last night and apparently there is a transport leaving California in a couple of days that is going to Georgia. She is looking at having him travel on the return trip, which should mean that he would be headed this way by next weekend.
Olive, I will check with the group you mentioned and see if they can help out.

My main concern is that she doesn't seem very forthcoming with details. When I try to ask for specifics, she just tells me to have faith in the process and that everything will work out. It's been 17 days now and I'm starting to wonder if she knows what she's doing. Apparently, she's been doing this for awhile, so I hope I'm just being a worry-wort. confused
[notify]
Ellie

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 12:05pm PST 
Please keep us updated.
[notify]
Molly

Shiba-dors rule!

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 4:11pm PST 
Hi Ellie, I will definitely keep everyone updated. Hope to have some happy news to report soon.way to go
[notify]
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 7:41pm PST 
Yes, $175 seems pretty reasonable considering the distance.
At least, in the meantime, you can keep in touch with the foster in Georgia for updates on how Graham is doing.
He's a lucky pup that you have saved him, and extended your efforts and faith in this way.
Please do keep us updated. big hug
Molly

Shiba-dors rule!

Barked: Thu Oct 4, '12 9:11am PST 
wave all, Happy news to report. Graham's transport has finally been scheduled. He is leaving Georgia next Monday and he should be here by Wednesday or Thursday. cheer Thank you all for holding my hand through this. I will update you as soon as he gets here.
[notify]

Barked: Sat Oct 6, '12 12:44pm PST 
Awesome! Glad everything is working out well and you get to see your new family member soon! cheer
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 4: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  4