GO!

Out of state adoption...nervous.

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Molly

Shiba-dors rule!

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 2:14pm PST 
A little background first. About two weeks ago, a friend shared a post from a rescue group in Georgia. It was an absolutely gorgeous little dog that was in a high-kill shelter and desperately in need of a home. Something about him grabbed my heart in a way I can't begin to understand and I just knew he had to be with us. After getting in touch with the original poster, we were approved to adopt him. Yay! He is now with a foster mom and will be transported to us as soon as possible.
This is where the nerves come in. The lady I have been dealing with seems very vague when it comes to discussing how he will be brought to us. She can't give me an exact date or tell me who will be driving him. She just keeps saying "don't worry about it". Well, I am worried about. I've spoken with his foster mom and she is as much in the dark about his transportation as I am. shrug
Has anyone else ever adopted a dog from out of state? Is this the usual way these things are done? I don't want to start "hounding" this person, I just want to know what's going on with our new baby.
By the way, once he gets here, his name will be Graham and Molly will finally get to be a big sister.happy dance
[notify]
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 6:12pm PST 
I have participated in transports before, I would ask which group he is being transported with and if you could be sent the emails related to the transport so you could be more involved and maybe do the last leg. A lot of times it will be a run sheet of multiple dogs/cats going to the same area that are transported and multiple people do different legs of the whole route.

Here is a copy of one of the transports I was involved with (before everything was filled), you can see why it would be difficult for her to give you an exact name of who is transporting the dog as in all likelihood it will be multiple people. There are phone numbers to contact (i removed them) for any issues that arise on the transports.

Congrads on your new baby!

The route:

**Legs are flexible - 20 minutes have been added to each leg for transfer/potty breaks.**

**ARRIVE IN NEWARK, DE AT 12:10 PM ON ANOTHER TRANSPORT**

Leg 1 Newark, DE to Norristown, PA (Philly area) - 54 miles/1 hour 15 minutes – FILLED, thank you Anne, Lisa and Jenny!
Leave Newark 12:25 pm; arrive Norristown 1:40 pm

Leg 2 Norristown, PA to Allentown, PA – 48 miles/1 hour – ADDITIONAL DRIVER(S) NEEDED (thank you Shannon, Roger and Vicki!)
Leave Norristown 1:45 pm; arrive Allenstown 2:45 pm

Leg 3 Allentown, PA to Scranton, PA – 75 miles/1 hour 20 minutes – FILLED, thank you Judy J., Sherry and Judy M.!
Leave Allentown 3:10 pm; arrive Scranton 4:30 pm

Leg 4 Scranton, PA to Binghamton, NY - 60 miles/1 hour 5 minutes – ADDITIONAL DRIVER(S) NEEDED (thank you Terry, David and Jennifer!)
Leave Scranton 4:45 pm; arrive Binghamton 5:00 pm

Leg 5 Binghamton, NY to Syracuse, NY – 73 miles/1 hour 15 minutes - ADDITIONAL DRIVER(S) NEEDED (thank you Bridgette!)
Leave Binghamton 6:05 pm; arrive Syracuse 7:20 pm

Leg 6 Syracuse, NY to Rochester, NY – 87 miles/1 hour 30 minutes – ADDITIONAL DRIVER(S) NEEDED (thank you Tiffany!)
Leave Syracuse 7:35 pm; arrive Rochester 9:05 pm

**PASSENGER DETAILS**
ALL passengers are UTD on age appropriate vaccines and are traveling with vet paperwork, rabies certificate and health certificate. Passengers will travel with a slip leash unless they are under age 6 months; puppies under 4 months will travel with provided crate(s). All passengers are good with other dogs and have no health/behavior problems unless noted. Kids/cats are unknown unless noted.

Passengers #1-2
TYSON neutered M and PANDA BEAR spayed F Basset Hound mixes, black/white medium coats, 4 mos, 20 lbs
Crate is REQUIRED but NOT provided; please provide your own. Puppies under 6 mos old are NOT allowed down on the ground. Please don’t risk their health by putting them on the ground or exposing them to other dogs on transport.

Passenger #3
STAFFORD, neutered M Pit Bull Terrier, blue w/white short coat, 2 yrs, 45 lbs

Passenger #4
SMOKEY, neutered M Lab mix, black short coat, 4 mos, 15 lbs
Crate is REQUIRED but NOT provided; please provide your own. Puppies under 6 mos old are NOT allowed down on the ground. Please don’t risk their health by putting them on the ground or exposing them to other dogs on transport.

Passenger #5
PRINCESS, spayed F Chihuahua, tan w/white short coat, 1 yr, 10 lbs
Crate is REQUIRED due to small size but NOT provided; please provide your own

Passenger #6
CAMELOT, spayed F Chihuahua, cream short coat, 10 yrs, 7 lbs
Crate is REQUIRED but NOT provided; please provide your own. Has skin allergies.

Passenger #7
NANCY, spayed F Lab mix, fawn short coat w/white chest, 4 mos, 15 lbs

Passenger #8
WALDO, neutered M Chihuahua, fawn short coat, 6 yrs, 10 lbs
Crate is REQUIRED due to small size but NOT provided; please provide your own.

Passenger #9
PANDORA, spayed F Terrier mix, brindle short coat w/white chest, 3 mos, 10 lbs
Crate is PROVIDED. Puppies under 6 mos old are NOT allowed down on the ground. Please don’t risk their health by putting them on the ground or exposing them to other dogs on transport.

Passenger #10
BONNIE, spayed F Rottweiler mix, black/tan short coat, 1-2 yrs, 60 lbs

Passenger #11
CHANDLER, neutered M Pit mix, red short coat w/white chest, 2 yrs, 55 lbs
[notify]
Molly

Shiba-dors rule!

Barked: Wed Sep 26, '12 9:31pm PST 
Hi Star-thank you so much for your reply. I understand that she may not know the names of the individual drivers, but she hasn't even given me the name of the organization that will be transporting him. I also can't get an estimate of when he will be traveling. I have told her that I would be willing to help out anyway possible. Unfortunately, I can't do any of the actual driving due to an injury that has left me unable to drive.
My family has already become so attached to this dog, but I'm starting to worry that I've made a mistake trusting this person. We've already payed the adoption fee and the health/travel cert. I've told her that we're happy to pay all the transport fees as well, as soon as we know that it has been arranged. She's giving me the impression that my questions are becoming a nusiance to her, which I find very unsettling. I'm just not sure what my next step should be.confused
[notify]

Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 11:51am PST 
I would contact the person who s fostering her and see if maybe they could ask the person some questions also...I would be nervous if this was my baby also so i get it. She should be able to give you some sort of group name or email address/phone number. I wish I could offer more help
[notify]
Molly

Shiba-dors rule!

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 4:27pm PST 
Thanks Star, you actually have been very helpful. I spoke to the foster mom today and she hasn't heard anything either. Apparently, the woman who runs the rescue still has no idea who will be transporting our Graham. I find this a bit odd since the original plan was for him to be on his way by Oct. 1st. I don't want to push her too hard since our baby's fate is still very much in her hands. However, this really seems like a red flag to me.frown
[notify]

Barked: Thu Sep 27, '12 5:26pm PST 
Since you have already paid for her (which I hope you have a receipt for saying so), I personally would ask the foster not to release your dog to anyone without your consent. Basically, don't give her to anyone, shelter lady or not, until they are the confirmed transportation. If you have already paid for the dog, there is no reason for them to be procrastinating on sending her to you (especially if you also paid for the transportation). Would it be possible to look into your own transportation instead of waiting on them? Hope it gets settled soon without any further problems!way to go
[notify]
Star BN RN- RA

IM too CUTE

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 6:19am PST 
Im glad I could help a little. I wish I could help more but most transports I get emails about are going up towards me. Im in MD so the ones coming to the northeast are the ones Im notified about.
[notify]
Ellie

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 12:40pm PST 
Hi, I live in GA and follow many of the local rescues and shelters on FB. I have read it takes up to two weeks to arrange transportation. One dog, pulled from our high kill shelter on the 17th, arrived at his forever home today in the Northeast. There's another dog awaiting transport and friends of the shelter are trying to raise the money to pay for this. Sometimes it does take a while to get everything into place.

I hope you hear something very soon!
[notify]
Molly

Shiba-dors rule!

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 3:53pm PST 
Thanks for your advice and support everyone. Ellie, the new pup (Graham) is coming from a town called Dalonega. Is that anywhere near you? I suppose I just need to be patient a little while longer. I've heard that there is a transport heading out next week sometime. Please keep your paws crossed for us. way to go
[notify]
Ellie

Barked: Sat Sep 29, '12 6:13pm PST 
Dahlonega is a couple of hours from me and in another county, so I'm not familiar with the shelter or rescues there. I don't know if this is helpful or not, but there is a facebook page--Dahlonega Dogs--that is run by volunteers who arrange out of state transportation for some dogs after the dog is pulled by a rescue.

Paws crossed for you!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4