GO!

Question about special needs dog...

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 8:07am PST 
There's a dog I've gotten interested in. One of those situations where the last thing we need is another pooch. But he is so handsome, and in need of a good home. He is special needs,but we had a cat that had neuro disabilities. So we've had some experience with exceptional critters.
But there is a difference between a 6lb cat and a maybe 40lb dog. He is blind and they say he's healthy, that he just has a "rabbit hop" to his gait from a neuro issue. I inquired to find out how he is with cats.
Am I being totally ridiculous even considering such a boy? Sophie is a four year old AmStaff and we have several house cats. But we do have a big house and fenced in yard and access to many parks and hiking areas. With Sophie we do mostly sight commands. I suppose a blind dog you'd guide them with words and a comfortable harness? Feedback welcomeconfused
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 8:57am PST 
Well i dont have any advice but a friend of mine, his mom has a 13 yr old blind and diabetic Maltese. They also have 2 other dogs another Maltese and a yorkie so they are pretty much the same size. They all get along just fine. Tic Tac the one thats blind gets around pretty well. He will occasionally bump into things but he knows the lay of their house pretty well. The only thing is he has to be lifted down the back steps to potty because he cant see them.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 11:55am PST 
No, you're not being totally ridiculous, unless you call a big heart ridiculous. big grin

A friend had a blind dog for years. They always tapped the floor before they touched him so as not to startle, also to call him over. Yes, they used a harness for walking him. They learn the interior of their home and get around quite well.

Reminds me of an animal planet show I where a family had a blind dog, and the other family dog just started guiding her. who knows, maybe one of your current dogs will help the guy out? you never know...
[notify]

Josie- *Forever in- Our Hearts*

Happy to work

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 4:11pm PST 
I fostered a blind epileptic dog until it was adopted from the rescue, they asked me to do it because Josie has seizures so they thought I could deal with him better than some of the other fosters who have no experience with seizures and how to deal with them...I was so nervous about how my dogs and cats would react. When we first brought him home he walked into the house and immediately walked into one of my cats who looked at the new dog and walked away. It took about a week for him to stop walking into things and to find the door when he had to go out, we also blocked off all the stairs so he would not fall down them.

After about 3 weeks he fit right in, he knew the layout of the house and where everything was. He started playing with my dogs and would avoid the cats. He was great, most people who visited did not even know that he was blind!

I don't think that you are crazy for thinking about getting him, sometimes you see a picture and read about a dog and you just know that that dog deserves a great home and that you could provide a wonderful home for it.
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Fri Aug 10, '12 4:15pm PST 
I even wonder if we might consider fostering him to see how everyone gets along? The first thing is they would absolutely have to tell me he's not reactive to cats. With Sophie I led her through the cat room at the shelter and she sniffed a few cages, but the first hiss or paw coming out and she backed away n' dropped her head.
Then there's the back steps. I guess he could be led down the steps and down from the porch. Sophie can do both in a leap or two, but if you can't see the sides you'd fall right off. And it would be how Sophie might be with him, but if she's afraid of the cats and motherly with puppies and small dogs...maybe she could be the canine pal he needs?
[notify]
Josie- *Forever in- Our Hearts*

Happy to work

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 3:15am PST 
I would ask them to do a foster to adopt type thing, that way you can make sure that hes okay with your cats and dogs.

I mainly block off the steps in my house because of the seizures that my Josie has. She fell down the steps a couple years ago during one and hurt her back so I just keep her away from them so I don't have to worry.

When the blind, epileptic foster came to my house we just kept the gates in place.....He did use the steps in the front of my house, I led him down them and he stumbled the first time or two but then he got the idea, I used a command to let him know when steps where coming. I would say "climb" and he would slow down and go up or down the steps. I know the family that adopted him have steps and that he's fine in their home and uses the steps regularly.
[notify]
Opheila

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 11:17am PST 
Well we have the baby gates already. I talked to somebody at the shelter about him today. They don't know if he's been cat tested yet, so that's something I would need to know. The shelter person pointed out something I hadn't thought of...that even with a fenced in yard bushes, trees, the house, the fence all would hurt to run into. Then it would be about helping him learn to layout of the yard without running into things. The handler thinks he can see shapes possibly...I'll call back Tuesday about the cat question again...oy, so very many questions...snoopy
[notify]
Bunny

Black dogs rock!

Barked: Sat Aug 11, '12 12:51pm PST 
I worked for a lady who had a blind dog, and if you didn't know, it was really hard to tell. She would even chase the ball by listening to where it landedway to go They built a kind of ramp for her to go down the stairs. Perhaps a railing even? thinking I hope it works out for you flowers Keep us postedbig grin
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 9:26pm PST 
Our Baby went blind overnight with SARDS. I was devistated, until the vet said, she's blind not dying. thinking So we made lots of adjustments. We never moved furniture, we used swimmie noodles to cover the legs of chairs the handle on the oven, placed loads of pillows in corners and talked alot. I mean alot. I became a chatty Patty! Baby did fine blind. She actually had liver and cancer issues in the end. I had a harness custom made for her and we would walk all the time. When we came to a curb I would put her down and say "step" and she would step up! cheercheer The biggest thing was the table corners, we had a coffee table and removed it from the house completely. Since we never moved anything she did wonderfully! big grin It's not hard, just takes some adjustment. Opening your house to a special needs dog is a wonderful and rewarding thing to do. I hope she's fine with cats and you can give her a wonderful forever home! flowers Keep us posted...
[notify]