GO!

I should be happy, but I just feel bad.

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Duke

I'm Adopted!

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 6:37pm PST 
Duke went to a new home today...! Kinda forced myself to put the exclamation mark, cuz it makes it look like I'm REALLY happy about it, but I'm not. Oh, I'm sure the family will be great, the dad loved him and they have a couple other dogs his size and live in the country (but will stay in the house, of course), and they have a young son so I know he will have lots of fun, love, and snuggles. I also know his parents, they own a business in town and are very respectable so that gives me a bit more comfort in knowing that. I also know that I needed to find him a new home since he was a foster, and because I'm moving in a few weeks and can only take Twister...so it is a good thing he found a new home (I'm sure my sister would have taken care of him temp, but already has Echo and is going to take care of my rabbit and our grandma's cat and it would not be easy on her).

But coming home without him felt really horrible, and I'm pretty sure Twister and Echo were smelling me wondering where he was. The house has been really quiet since he has been gone...and Twist and Echo easily guilted me into sharing my ice cream with them (usually they wouldn't have much of a chance). It may take a while to move on. They do have my info if they decide it doesn't work out for some reason...but I hope I don't start hoping they change their mind.frown
[notify]
Natasha - 美花- ~Beautiful- Flower~

Let's play tag!- You're it!

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 7:41pm PST 
hug I'm glad you were able to find him a good home, but I know how you feel about having to let him go. hug
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 8:41pm PST 
I'm glad he found a new home but at the same time it's just too easy to get attached to a foster. frown If I fostered I think I would end up with a whole pack. I hope Twister and Echo don't miss him too much.
[notify]

Bello

Herr Bello ist- nicht ein- Mensch!

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 1:28am PST 
Duke is gorgeous and I can completely understand how hard it is to give up a foster. I found some stray chow mixes living twenty minutes away from my house. Eventually succeeded in catching two of them. After two months I got them into a no-kill rescue. One little girl completely and utterly stole my heart. I want nothing more than to adopt her back (she's still available), but unfortunately I live at home and my mom says no to more dogs. She's going to another rescue soon and when the original rescue told me I was like you I tried to be happy because it would help them get adopted, but inside I was dying. Part of me still hopes that I can scrounge up the money to move out, afford a third dog and adopt her back.
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 5:16am PST 
You are Dukes angel. It is wonderful you found such a good home for him (sounds perfect). He is such a gorgeous dog and his life could have had a tragic ending if you had not helped. I know some people that foster and it was always hard giving them up to new homes, but that is what fostering is about. It also leaves a spot for another dog in need. Hopefully in the future you can do it again when you get your own place. I am sure you will start feeling better letting Duke go. You did such a good thing for him.
[notify]
Lucille

I am the Sock- Bandit!!!

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 6:59am PST 
It's not easy hug but you know you've done the right thing. So does Duke. He was lucky to have you in his life.

I get attached to every dog I've cared for, the fosters and the working dogs. They take a bit of my heart when they move on. But that's the point, I'm here to love and care for them and get them ready for the next step in their journey. To set them up for their future the best that I can. Dogs understand a lot more of that than we tend to give them credit for.

It helps me not to dwell on it, I focus on something I've been meaning to work on more with another dog but haven't yet had enough time, even reading about training or breeds I don't know much about...It gets better hug
[notify]
Duke

I'm Adopted!

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 9:15am PST 
Thanks guys.hug Things are definitely more relaxed around here, which is good because things are going to start getting busy with packing and such. I've had several fosters, but I think Duke was one that I really just wanted to keep myself even with the issues I have had with him (yumm..bunny smile ). I do know this was what was best for him though. Probably won't be having any fosters for quite some time (at least a year, maybe longer), but you're right that will give me more time to focus on things I need to work with Twister on. Hopefully I will be able to find some dog friends where I move that he can play with, I don't think I'm as fun to run with (not as fast as those with four legs, lol). dog walk
[notify]
Opheila

It ain't over- till the fat- kitty sings

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 11:56am PST 
I'm sorry, it IS hard to do what you did. Some years ago I had a border collie. She was a great dog. Beautiful, intelligent but too much dog for a small apartment and not enough exercise. I worked long hours and even my big kids were afraid to let her walk them. So I rehomed her to an older single gentleman with a farm and lots of space to roam. Wayyy better for her but yeah...it was really hard to do.
[notify]
Turner - Gone Too- Soon

Hi I'm Turner- Wanna Smell My- Butt?

Barked: Wed Aug 8, '12 8:53pm PST 
Fostering isn't easy. Look at it this way. When one goes to a new home that opens an opportunity for another one to be rescued. There is always one that comes along that will make you cry. If you know his family ask them for updates. They sound wonderful and should give him a wonderful forever home. Take Twister and Echo out for something special a walk, ice cream, something and celebrate all that you've done for Duke! flowers
[notify]
Duke

I'm Adopted!

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 8:19am PST 
Thanks guys. They have been getting ice cream, it's been too hot right now to do their favorite walks (at the state park), but in November I'm planning on taking Twister with me camping. smile

Edited by author Thu Aug 9, '12 8:20am PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2