GO!

benefits of adopting an older dog?

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 6:08am PST 
Well my dad is looking into getting his own place in a little while. He really wants to get a dog when hes all settled in. I think he would benefit from adopting an older dog. One that is maybe already house broken and somewhat calmer as he has some health issues. What do you guys feel the benefits are from adopting an older dog than a younger puppy?
[notify]
Sanka- I'll Miss- You

The ground is my- newspaper.

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 1:25pm PST 
Hi,wave

This thread has first hand info on the good aspects of having a senior dog. Obviously, senior is general and not all dogs will be the same.
[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Tue Jun 19, '12 5:48pm PST 
Thanks Sanka way to go
[notify]

Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Wed Jun 20, '12 10:34pm PST 
Old dogs rock!
Puppies and teenagers are fun, no denying that but there is nothing better then sitting on the porch at dawn, sipping a hot coffee with an old dog beside you. Shelters and rescues are often full of mature dogs, past their prime and very often will reduce adoption fees on them. No one wants them.
As Sanka said all dogs are different but in general you avoid the puppy crazies and teenage rebellion.
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Thu Jun 28, '12 12:22am PST 
Totally agree with Sabi. I do find that older GSD's take longer to bond to a new owner in general. I convinced a neighbor down the road to adopt an older dog after he lost his two beagles within the year (old age and cancer). I actually printed pictures off a rescue site, so he could not resist. He cried thanking me as he just loves his older beagle rescue dog Petey and they are with each other 24/7. Petey's owner was old and ill and could not look after him any more. It was a happy ending for everyone, especially Petey. He was already house trained, socialized and just happy to be with someone again. It breaks my heart when I see older dogs at the pound as it is the puppies that get adopted majority of the time.
[notify]
Maggie - RIP - 1998-2010

Even senior dogs- make great new- pets.

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 1:39pm PST 
We adopted Maggie at the age of 10. At the time having an older dog that was calmer, but still wanted to play was what we needed and were looking for. So adopting an older JRT was perfect for us at the time. We had two wonderful years with her before we had to help her to the bridge due to heart failure. Because of her if the chance and timing is right I would adopt an older dog again.
[notify]
Floppy

Did somebody say- car ride?!?!

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 4:40pm PST 
How old are you thinking? I'm quite a fan of adopting older dogs and hope to adopt a senior myself in the near future. Anyways, I feel that there are many benefits of adopting an older/senior dog. They are usually more socialized,trained and not as time consuming compared to a puppy. I work at an animal shelter and I know that most people don't want to even look at older dogs which makes it a much more meaningful adoption when someone does. I do think though that it's important to think about potential health issues that could rise in the future but once you feel secure about that, adopting an older dog is the way to go. smile

Edited by author Sat Jun 30, '12 4:41pm PST

[notify]
Kashmir- ♥ CGC

Boxer Beach Bum

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 11:11am PST 
Thanks for the responses.
@Poppy i was thinking a dog that was atleast over 3. I know he really wants a Boxer as he loves Kash, but shes going to be 6 and still needs a lot of excersize and attention. Were going to look for something smaller. way to go
[notify]
Miss- Scarlett

Pick me- up...please!

Barked: Mon Jul 2, '12 6:17pm PST 
cloud 9 Nothing quite like a mature dog that has lots of love to still give. I love the idea of matching human seniors with K-9 seniors.

Our Miss Scarlett was a puppy gift to a female senior (from her family)... we inherited Miss Scarlett at age 3... due to her human senior needing to be placed in a nursing home. When the human went into nursing care...no one in her family wanted the dog they gave her.

My friend (the seniors OT) is how we got involved. She knew Scarlett would have been way too tramatized to be in a shelter.

Whatever the age of the dog you get for a senior human...better have a person as a back-up caretaker for the dog...just in case.
[notify]