GO!

My Neighbor's Ex-Dog

This is a special section for dogs needing new homes and for inspiring stories of dogs that have found their furever home through Dogster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of dog! If you are posting about a dog that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Dogster's dog adoption center!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
Maci & Harley & Jigar

Golden butts

Barked: Tue May 29, '12 8:03am PST 
You are super kind! Those eyes are amazing ---can see him wrapping someone around his little paw.
[notify]
Trigger

*Blackdog*

Barked: Tue May 29, '12 8:29am PST 
Twister - Australian Shepherd Dog, I'd put money on it wink

Ears are a bit short and the coat seems very thick and almost wooly? so maybe you've got some sort of Spitz in there too, but he screams ASD to me.

He doesn't look Toller at all. Color matches but NOTHING about the build or structure does....not head, snoot, ears, neck, body structure, tail or coat.

Tollers are still pretty rare despite what some others may suggest. Most owned in the states would never find their way into any sort of backyard breeder or puppy mill situation because they are so rare. To acquire one, one has to put quite the amount of effort in to finding a breeder and most then have them shipped. Owners are well educated on the breed and enthusiasts of the sport, and well educated, well intentioned owners rarely surrender or abandon their dogs, much less still intact and left to procreate willy nilly with other random breeds of dog.

The odds that your Duke is a Toller or any sort of mix are extremely low. If you ever happen to DNA test him and he happens to be some sort of odd mix you ought to pick up a few lottery tickets wink
[notify]
Duke

I'm Adopted!

Barked: Tue May 29, '12 8:51am PST 
Eh, I'm not wonderful, just selfish...hard to give up a pup with eyes like that! laugh out loud

The neighbors and our original guess was either Aussie or Eskie mix. In fact, our other neighbors have two young purebred Aussies. There are a ton of Aussies around here, as well as BC, lap-type dogs, and herding/guarding type dogs. There are spitz type dogs too. That one breeder of Tollers in MO seems to be the only one around here. Most bybs around here seem to going for doodle mixes and guard type dog mixes. There are a lot of hunting type dogs around too, but mostly labs and hounds. Not that it really matters what he is, though it does help in figuring out what his possible traits and needs are. Thanks for all the advice everyone!blue dog

Edited by author Tue May 29, '12 8:54am PST

[notify]

Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '12 8:05pm PST 
He looks like a Nova Scotia Duck-Tolling Retriever / Australian Shepherd mix to me. They are rare, but I saw a guy with one hiking in The Whites just a few weeks ago. The guy was surprised I knew what breed she was. Good Luck with him!
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Sun Jun 3, '12 10:32pm PST 
Hope Duke is doing well!

I like Kali's suggestion. I can definitely see Aussie or something similar in the face.

Just for your information I have been watching the Toller rescues. Seems people let them wander a bit. And interestingly enough almost none of them were spayed or neutered wen picked up. Also noted a lot of Toller crosses sitting in shelters.
Also for your information Tollers are not Retrievers in spite of the name. Tolling is a method of baiting ducks. Although they are trained to retrieve downed birds, that is not the primary breed function.
[notify]
Duke

I'm Adopted!

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '12 9:59am PST 
I def think he has Aussie in him, but he has to be mixed with something so I think Toller could still be on the table. Who knows?

Thanks for the info Sabi, and since he is a mix it's not like he is going to have all the specific traits of any one breed.

He is loving the country, though my sister said he ran to the gate after I left (aww!!!), I really did wish to keep him, but at least now I can take my time looking for a good home for him.

ETA: Trigger, I don't gamble, but if we ever found out that somehow he does have Toller in him, I just might have to get a few tickets! lol

Edited by author Mon Jun 11, '12 10:01am PST

[notify]
Zoey

oops theres a- wall there!

Barked: Mon Jun 11, '12 6:53pm PST 
he is a cutie whatever he may be! Fleas are crazy here in Texas, nothing seems to kill them confused I give my dogs flea baths and frontline all the time and they still have them, doesnt help though when the neighbors dogs are always outside and not taken care of. if you find something that works though let me know! smile
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2